Anyone got pictures/advice for Installing New Wiring Harness

Started by Dirk35, March 23, 2004, 03:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirk35

Hey all. Ill be getting my engine back form the maching shop in a few weeks. I got my wiring harness in yesterday. Id like pictures of where and how you ran your wires through to the engine bay.

I looked in the Tech files of both the HAMB an the RRT and found nothing.

Also, and helpful hints youve all learned from your mistakes.

Id personally perfer not to have a big wad of wires poking, and bolts nad holes through the firewall I made int he 35 Ford PU.

Ive thought of making a inner plate to bolt inside the firewall under the drivers side of the dash, and welding tabs to bolt it to, so I wont have any holes throught the wall. Then runnuign the wires through the bottom portion of the firewall behing the tranny so they wont be redially seen.

But, from what I can tell, theres a wad of wires they want me to run through the firewall about 1" diameter with a grommet.

WZ JUNK

I avoid putting anything on the firewall or through it but that is just me.  I like to run the wiring out just below the toe board near the kick panel on the drivers side.  Some harnesses you are limited by the amount of wire they allow you for the steering column hookup and this will in turn limited where the wire can be placed .  Go to  Painless Wiring  for some good advise on installation.  If you have a specific question, and I can, I will help.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

On a 35, you canrun it through the toe board just behind the firewall, just inside the kick panel. this will drop the wires through the bottom of the cab, so you can run them inside the frame to the front of the truck. I usually run wires on both sides, smaller holes for one, and you don't need to run wires across the chassis.

When building a firewall, I drill several 1/4" holes around the edge, in about 2" from the edge, and a couple spots in the middle too. I then plug weld 1/4" by 2" elevator bolts behind the holes. This gives me something to fasten firewall insulation, fuse blocks, AC hoses, Evaporator, and all the other stuff you need inside the cab. by using 2" bolts, I can run a nut on to hold the insulation, and still have enough bolt left to hold other things in place.

For insulation, I have been using the 1" black foam rubber  mat they sell at swap meets for $5 to $10. Rubber is an ecellent insulator. I glue Heavy Vinyl on the back side, wrapping it around the edges for a finished look. If the firewall isnt flat, it can be cut and glued for odd shapes. The bolts mentioned above hold it in place.

Every one has put the insulation in place, and found they need another hole in it for something or other. It can be a bear to cut a hole after everything is in place. So I came up with a tool that does the job neatly. I used a hole saw arbor, and made a tube that screws on just like the hole saw, but the edge is smooth, and sharpened from the inside. Using a variable speed drill, you can locate and cut a hole in the insulation, without chancing a hole in the firewall or other finished part. It works so good, I use it for making holes in insulation, while I am doing the initial fabrication too..
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dirk35

Enjenjo, your hole cutter sounds as if inspired by a leather maker's hole punch.

Fas as running the wires through the frame, I had originally planned on running all the wires and lines in the frame. But after reading posts here and on the HAMB, I now do not want to run anything at all through the frame for future trouble shooting. I was just planning doing a neat installation job. So far, my brake lines and fuel lines have turned out real clean.

Anyone got any pictures......good or bad?????

Skip

Well, I have lots of pics but they don't want to load.

I'll try and see what's wrong in the mean time
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting

Dirk35

Cool, when you get a chance, bring em on Skip!
Thanks!

Dirk35

Skip

Quote from: "Dirk35"Cool, when you get a chance, bring em on Skip!
Thanks!
Can't get 'em to upload.  e-mail me w/ your e-mail address and I'll forward some pics.
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting

Dirk35

Thanks Skip!
hmmmmm
Coundnt find your e-mail addy to e-mail you with my e-mail address?????

HeHe. Im confusing myself.

my address is dirk 1935@yahoo.com

Get rid of the space between dirk and 1935. Everytime I post my address on a post to anyone in a public forum, I get spam for quite a few weeks afterward due to the machines that just scan for addresses.

Dirk

Dirk35

Hey Skip, thanks!
I didnt get the third one cause the other two filled
up my mail box. Thanks for the picts, I saved them to
my hard drive. They help a lot. If you got more, I can
hold two fo those at a time.
Thanks,
D

Skip, when I reply to your e-mails that you sent, I get a failure to delivery notice.