OT - Looking for a good deal on a Laptop?

Started by Carnut, November 06, 2006, 10:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnut

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"Since this thread has some of our wise computer gurus' attention, what are your opinions on the Dell E1505.  I can get it for $749.  I've been very happy with my Dell desktop and I really want a laptop for traveling.  The Walmart pricing looks great but I just don't know. :?

I'm sure the Dell is as good as any laptop available.

Here's a review of it: Dell e1505 review

purplepickup

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"Since this thread has some of our wise computer gurus' attention, what are your opinions on the Dell E1505.  I can get it for $749.   :?
I see it starts out at $719 now but it doesn't take long to add a few hundred on with things like a Office and DVD RW & software.  I've got a Dell D610 and it works great.  

It's hard for me to use the touch pad so I had to get a mouse.  This is a great price on a HP travel kit http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104359 It's got a small mouse, usb hub and a bunch of connectors that let you hook up most anywhere.
George

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"Since this thread has some of our wise computer gurus' attention, what are your opinions on the Dell E1505.  I can get it for $749.   :?
I see it starts out at $719 now but it doesn't take long to add a few hundred on with things like a Office and DVD RW & software.  I've got a Dell D610 and it works great.  

It's hard for me to use the touch pad so I had to get a mouse.  This is a great price on a HP travel kit http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104359 It's got a small mouse, usb hub and a bunch of connectors that let you hook up most anywhere.

Dell site is interesting.

you folks mention same computer at $799 , $749 , $719.00........  I finally found the 719.00 unit on the web site.

I receive emails from Dell since our last desktop purchase is a Dell unit that Janice uses. It has worked flawlessly for near 2 years now.

Email from Dell  took me to the 799.00 unit.  I did some digging , then found 719.00 price.

Would a person see any speed difference from a :

1.60GHz/533MHz/2 X 1MB L2 Cache

to a :

4MB Cache/2.00GHz/667MHz FSB ........ ? A $180.00 upgrade

:?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Carnut

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "purplepickup"

Dell site is interesting.

you folks mention same computer at $799 , $749 , $719.00........  I finally found the 719.00 unit on the web site.

I receive emails from Dell since our last desktop purchase is a Dell unit that Janice uses. It has worked flawlessly for near 2 years now.

Email from Dell  took me to the 799.00 unit.  I did some digging , then found 719.00 price.

Would a person see any speed difference from a :

1.60GHz/533MHz/2 X 1MB L2 Cache

to a :

4MB Cache/2.00GHz/667MHz FSB ........ ? A $180.00 upgrade

:?

In reality, no. Not unless you edit graphic images in Photoshop 16hrs a day as some of us do, than again I'd doubt the difference would be worth worrying about.

Now a days, the must haves are the periprerials, DVD RW, WiFi, large harddrive storage, etc.

Fat Cat

Quote from: "Carnut"In reality, no. Not unless you edit graphic images in Photoshop 16hrs a day as some of us do, than again I'd doubt the difference would be worth worrying about.

Now a days, the must haves are the periprerials, DVD RW, WiFi, large harddrive storage, etc.

Or your a computer poweruser, where you have 7-8 intensive programs running all at once like I do. I agree with Carnut's assessment you could probably live without that one. If I were spending the extra money I would buy more RAM.

Crosley.In.AZ

thanks for the information.......

I've been looking further into this Dell notebook.

they seem to configure the 1505 in a zillion ways , prices are all over a wide range.

I also found a 1501 unit that seems to have good numbers and is slightly cheaper in the same size box
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Dave

Quote from: "Crosley"thanks for the information.......

I've been looking further into this Dell notebook.

they seem to configure the 1505 in a zillion ways , prices are all over a wide range.

I also found a 1501 unit that seems to have good numbers and is slightly cheaper in the same size box

At least dell still has com ports. Im having a problem with a PLC programming issue. usb to com adapter.. Allen Bradley expensive software cant make it work :?:  :?:
Any way im thinking about getting one of these instead. Its a lot easier..
Dave :wink:  :!:  :arrow: