Streetrod on the road

Started by 40_Tudor, October 25, 2006, 09:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

40_Tudor

Finely got my 40 drivable a couple of weeks ago. It's not anywhere close to being finished but it will get down the road.
Been working overtime on it evenings after work and weekends. A friend had a nice shop he was leasing to build his 37 Chevy and my 40 Ford. He didn't renew the lease at the end of September so it was ether work on it almost every night or trailer it back home.
Thought I could have it driveable for Goodguys this summer in Columbus but that was dreaming, there's always next year.
Anyway it runs pretty good.
87 Iroc 5L TPI with 5 speed, MII and 9".
Street & Performance burned a chip for me to switch from a MAF to a MAP sensor.
I have an inline fuel pump for now but I plan on putting one in tank this winter. Have to key it several times to get the pressure up to start.
Here's a few pictures.

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "40_Tudor"
I have an inline fuel pump for now but I plan on putting one in tank this winter. Have to key it several times to get the pressure up to start.
Here's a few pictures.

I installed a new Edelbrock EFI system which uses an in-line pump.  I experienced the same problem.  

The cause, in my case, was a faulty pressure regulator, which allowed pressure to bleed back to the tank when the pump was not running.

I dismantled the regulator, but found nothing wrong.  .....I put it back together and never had that problem again.   ......You may have debris in the regulator which is preventing complete shut-off.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

WZ JUNK

Congratulations.   Looks done to me.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

alchevy

Drive the wheels off of it and have fun with it! My '40 Chevy is on the road, needs interior and paint, but since July, 2003 it's been over 22,000 miles.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

58 Yeoman

Looks good the way it is, but I'd paint the hood.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Okiedokie

Yea, drive it. Drove my 40 tudor from Tulsa to St Paul for nats in much the same condition in the mid 80's. Gettin close on 40 coupe also will be TPI. Is it an optical illusion, or do you have to remove belt/radiator hose to replace either? Love 40 tudors, wish I had never sold mine. Joe

Nice ride! Those 40 2drs are certainly becoming popular!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

40_Tudor

Bruce
I'll pull the regulator off and see if it has any cobwebs in it. The engine has been sitting for about 5 or 6 years so anything is possible. I ran a can of injector cleaner through it and pulsed the injectors before I started it but it still might have something it.
Also having problems with the rear tires, they keep spinning through second gear.

Joe
I don't remember if I put the belt on before the hose. I was assembling things so fast to try and get it moved I don't remember. Suppose I could go out in the garage and look.
As far as the hood goes, the one I got with the car had two big holes cut in it I assume for a hood scoop.  I welded patches in but got it to hot when I was grinding the welds down and warped it. I picked this hood  from a guy that had some extra parts. It's primer like the rest of the car just a different color primer.
I didn't have time to re-shoot it before I moved it. Next spring maybe.
I've added a picture of the car when I got it. A slight improvement don't you think.

40_Tudor

OK where's the other picture? Must have clicked the wrong button. Here goes again. Some improvement?

Carnut

A really nice 40 Standard you have there, they are my favorite.

Yes, drive the wheels off it.

EMSjunkie

It will never be finished :lol:

I thought my Coupe was "finished" a year ago 8)
but I still find something to do to it :wink:

drive it, enjoy it,it looks done to me :D

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****