Started by 48ford, October 31, 2006, 06:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ford

Any one price out a new red top?
hold ot to your shorts,they jumped over$30.00
still a good product,but at 150.00 a little steep now
Russ

river1

Quote from: "48ford"Any one price out a new red top?
hold ot to your shorts,they jumped over$30.00
still a good product,but at 150.00 a little steep now
Russ

OUCH!!!!!

do you have a costco in your area? the costcos here in AZ have optimas for a hundred bucks.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

donsrods

In the T modified I am building I had very little room for a battery between the axle and back of body, so I finally found a battery made by Odyssey Battery Co.  It measures only 7 x 3 x 7 high, and puts out 680 CCA.  I spoke to the guy at the factory when I ordered it, and he is using one in his hot rod and says it has plenty of kick and reserve power.  They also have larger sizes.  In case anyone is interested, their website is:

www.odysseybatteries.com/index.htm

The Optimas are good, but just too big for my application. BTW, price for the one I bought was $ 98.00 + $ 10 shipping.

Don

Crosley.In.AZ

hmmmmmm, bummer.

this past sunday I used an Optima red top batt in my car trailer to winch an item onto the trailer.... I bought the batt in march 2001.

Batterys do not last real long in Az HOT weather.

I like the batterys. they sem to work dang well in the heat here.

:lol:  :arrow:  :!:   8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

zzebby

I too have a tiny panasonic in my 34 ford,  space limits.  My concern is that the GM  late model alternator can output enough current to smoke it.   The alt has a big output wire, 2 or 4 gauge and yet these little batteries can't accept huge charging currents if dead.  The std optima is OK,  but I worry about the little ones.

sirstude

The optima's don't seem to do well up here.  Guessing it is sitting out in the cold.  The Guard here had all of their equipment on them a few years ago, but when they started having to replace a bunch of them in the spring, they got rid of them.  All the reports I hear seem to be issues with sitting.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

purplepickup

Quote from: "sirstude"The optima's don't seem to do well up here.  Guessing it is sitting out in the cold.  The Guard here had all of their equipment on them a few years ago, but when they started having to replace a bunch of them in the spring, they got rid of them.  All the reports I hear seem to be issues with sitting.

Doug

I've got an Optima in my Rambler that doesn't hold a charge very long when it's not used.  I keep it on a maintainer when it's sitting.  It seems to be ok as far as cranking goes, it just loses it's charge after a while.  It's about 3 years old.
George

1FATGMC

Quote from: "sirstude"The optima's don't seem to do well up here.  Guessing it is sitting out in the cold.  The Guard here had all of their equipment on them a few years ago, but when they started having to replace a bunch of them in the spring, they got rid of them.  All the reports I hear seem to be issues with sitting.

Doug

I wish I could have taken some of those "bad" batteries off of their hands 8) .

I've had one in my truck 3-4 years now and like it a lot.  I have a master cut off switch and if I forget to turn it off mine will go dead in 3-5 days since the radio is basically on, but with it off and just bypassing it with enough juice to maintain the memory in the tuner/tape it lasts much longer.

I keep a $7.00 HF trickle charger on it and it is fine.  One thing I do like is that I have left the lights and other things on before  :cry: and run it completly dead and it has always worked fine after a recharge even though it sat in the dead state for a while until I needed the truck.

c ya,

Sum

Pep

I ran my optima dead flat. The charger didn't have a high enough capacity to supply the charging current. It kept cutting out. I placed a coil in series for a few hours to build a small charge into the battery. After that it was fine with the charger direct connected. I paid $260Aus for it..so it aint cheap. You guys have it better than us. It is supposed to last twice as long as a normal lead acid battery. The CCA is far better than any lead acid battery. The Odyssey batteries aren't in the same league.
See Ya
Pep

Crosley.In.AZ

A friend had a Bronco sit in his back yard for near 2 years til he could afford a fresh engine...... He charged the dead  Optima at a slow rate for about 2 days.

He used the battery for at least a year & 1/2 before he sold the Bronco...  

That sold me on the optima battery.  I 've had no trouble with mine.

The optima I use in my old cars was bought in march 2001.  I keep a battery tender on it , that helps I am sure.

good luck , have fun.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)