blown crosleys

Started by tomslik, October 18, 2006, 07:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

anybody ever seen/heard of one?
i'm more curious than wanting to build on but i was just wondering if anybody ever supercharged/turbo'd one....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

one Crosley Club member has built a few.

He has one right now that the carb is arguing with him.  All of his have used belt driven super chargers.

A small motorcycle turbo would work well on a Crosley.

Stock Crosley motor is about 750 cc
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "tomslik"anybody ever seen/heard of one?
i'm more curious than wanting to build on but i was just wondering if anybody ever supercharged/turbo'd one....

According to a Crosley club historian, the Crosley company supercharged some of their engines for marine use, and this Roots-type supercharger was offered as a retro-fit kit for Crosley cars.

I went to an old-engine show yesterday, and got talking to a fellow who had a Crosley-powered forklift there.  ....There were only a few hundred (344?) of these forklifts built under a military contract, and most were sent to the South Pacific during WWII.  .....Most of these forklifts never left the South Pacific, but this one was returned to the States, and used at Fort Indiantown Gap military base in Pennsylvania until 1960, when it was sold as surplus.   .....A mushroom grower bought the forklift and used it for twenty years, before parking it in the woods behind the farm.  .....In 2004, a Crosley-fan was hunting and discovered it in the woods.  .....The owner was contacted, and he said it was free for anyone who wanted to dig it out.  ....The present owner retrieved it, and restored it, and says it is the only one known to exist today.  

This guy is a historian for a Crosley club, and owns 14 Crosley cars, one of which is a supercharged Crosley Super Sport model.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

donsrods

Judson used to make superchargers for small engine applications. I bought one for my bug eyed sprite and it really woke it up (But not as much as the later swap to a 289 Ford woke it up  :D  :D  :D )

They also made them for VW applications, so you could probably adapt one pretty easily. But with Tony's crank problem, maybe it isn't such a good idea?

Don

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"
Quote from: "tomslik"anybody ever seen/heard of one?

According to a Crosley club historian, the Crosley company supercharged some of their engines for marine use, and this Roots-type supercharger was offered as a retro-fit kit for Crosley cars.

I went to an old-engine show yesterday, and got talking to a fellow who had a Crosley-powered forklift there.  ....There were only a few hundred (344?) of these forklifts built under a military contract, and most were sent to the South Pacific during WWII.  .....Most of these forklifts never left the South Pacific, but this one was returned to the States, and used at Fort Indiantown Gap military base in Pennsylvania until 1960, when it was sold as surplus.   .....A mushroom grower bought the forklift and used it for twenty years, before parking it in the woods behind the farm.  .....In 2004, a Crosley-fan was hunting and discovered it in the woods.  .....The owner was contacted, and he said it was free for anyone who wanted to dig it out.  ....The present owner retrieved it, and restored it, and says it is the only one known to exist today.  

This guy is a historian for a Crosley club, and owns 14 Crosley cars, one of which is a supercharged Crosley Super Sport model.

sounds like Paul Gorrel.  He owns just about one of every item Crosley produced

8)
Tony

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "Crosley"

This guy is Barry Seel from Walnutport, PA.

He's listed as a Crosley Parts vendor at:
http://www.ggw.org/~cac/PartsSuppliers.html

He was a pleasant chap, and seemed very knowledgeable, but I am in no position to dispute anything I was told.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"
Quote from: "Crosley"

This guy is Barry Seel from Walnutport, PA.

He's listed as a Crosley Parts vendor at:
http://www.ggw.org/~cac/PartsSuppliers.html

He was a pleasant chap, and seemed very knowledgeable, but I am in no position to dispute anything I was told.

Barry would have been my next guess.

He does so much stuff to keep  the Crosley powered vehicles going it is amazing.

8)
Tony