Brakes that STAY stopped

Started by jaybee, October 17, 2006, 04:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

No shock that brake drums & disks will pick up a little surface rust if the car remains parked in damp weather, especially if you've been driving through water.  That isn't a big deal, but what about a car that you're still building and you KNOW will not be ready to go for a good, long time.  Do you do anything to protect the swept area so they won't be ruined before turning a wheel under power?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Charlie Chops 1940

WD40, masking tape, clear packing tape....
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

GPster

How about the plastic bag evacuated with a vacuum cleaner trick? GPster

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "jaybee"No shock that brake drums & disks will pick up a little surface rust if the car remains parked in damp weather, especially if you've been driving through water.  That isn't a big deal, but what about a car that you're still building and you KNOW will not be ready to go for a good, long time.  Do you do anything to protect the swept area so they won't be ruined before turning a wheel under power?

I would not worry about it.  If they do get a little surface rust, it will clean off the first couple of times you stop.  The car I just finished had brake parts that had been laying around 4 or 5 years.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Pep

Yeah..no worries..my 37 had been sitting still for nearly 7 years. Sure there was some surface rust, but after the first drive, it all came nice and shiney.
See Ya
Pep