Street Rods at Work

Started by alchevy, September 23, 2006, 10:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alchevy

Finally...after years of two of us at work that own street rods, we both drove them to work on the same day unplanned. I threw my digital camera in that morning before heading to the office.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

donsrods

I hope you start a trend.  I used to love taking mine to work, made it a lot less of a pain in the neck to go to work.  It was nice to be different than all the econo-boxes and SUV's around you.  As soon as my T is done I will be doing that a lot.

Don

phat46

That's a couple nice rides, and quite a contrast in styles. It always makes the day better to drive your 'rod to work; it gives you something to look forward to for the drive home. On occassion and friend and I both show up at work with ours. My '46 Chevy and his '40 Packard coupe, making the deliveriy drivers always ask "Who owns the "cool" cars?" Used to be even better when we had a guy with a tubbed BB Camaro and a guy with a "70 440 'Cuda. Kinda like a mini car show at work.  :lol:

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "40chevy"Finally...after years of two of us at work that own street rods, we both drove them to work on the same day unplanned. I threw my digital camera in that morning before heading to the office.

Sometimes I drive the old truck to work.  It even brightens my day to see someone else driving their rod to work.  Nothing like seeing a rod on the road.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

EMSjunkie

I try to drive mine at least twice a month to work.

after  I get it back together, I'll throw the camera in and take it to work.
get a couple shots of it sitting next to my "Daily Driver" :)

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

58 Yeoman

I've only driven my Chevy to work once or twice, as we have a coal fired boiler, and sometimes it emits flyash.  I did see a friend of mine pull in today with his '69 Ford Torino....that he bought new in '69!  Still looks good.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

alchevy

I drive my '40 Chevy about once a week when the weather is nice just to keep it going and like it has been said here, it does make the day go better and puts a smile on faces when they see an old car. I rotate through my '06 HHR, my '81 Chevy Pickup, and the '40. Sure makes it a lot easier to crank 'em when they have been driven regularly. Get spoiled with daily drivers with fuel injection. The truck and the '40 are both column shift, the HHR is floor shift. So my biggest problem is driving the HHR most of the time and then getting into the others and trying to find the shifter. Then I get back into the HHR and turn on the wipers.

The building I work in was either built in the '40s or '50s so my '40 looks neat parked beside it. There were probably cars of that era parked in front of the building when it was new. The plant was established in this location in '44. The building I am in was the old store of the community that was there.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Dave

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"I try to drive mine at least twice a month to work.

after  I get it back together, I'll throw the camera in and take it to work.
get a couple shots of it sitting next to my "Daily Driver" :)

Vance

Id love to drive mine to work but of course we all know our insurance companys dont want us driving them to work and ive got 27 miles 1 way so i get a little paraanoid about driving mine to work. Ive only had the 32 at work 2 times.
Dave

alchevy

Several of the times, when I drive mine to work, I am going to a club meeting after work and don't have time to go back home and swap vehicles. Or I may be going to a cruise night after work. Some weeks I don't drive it to work, but I still don't let it sit any longer than two weeks without cranking it year-round. A friend of mine told me that when he gets home from work, he jumps in the street rod to run errands. That's my definition of pleasure driving.

Down here in the South, we get to enjoy our old cars year-round...don't have to let them hibernate for the Winter months.

www.astreetrodder.com

Brootal

I drive my old heap pretty much every day and I love it. Sure beats the wife's econobox and I enjoy every mile of it. I'd be stuck in peak hour traffic and I'd be kicking back listening to some tunes or to the rumble of the V8 and be having a great time. Everyone else around me is looking like they're about to neck themselves and I'm smiling! LOL

I even had a friend that I hadn't seen for a couple of years pull up alongside me in his Toyota Prado because he saw me up ahead in the traffic. I had no idea what car he had and if I had've been in something anonymous, he wouldn't have seen me either.

One problem though, it's no good if you're trying to hide from the police or some government agency. ;)
Yes it is Grandad\'s Old Rambler!

//www.the-rumbler.com