Hooley and salt racing safety

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, October 08, 2006, 11:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Does Hooley wear a Hahns device in the 974 car?  

Just curious.

is the Hahns device required in a car over a certain mph?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Crosley"Does Hooley wear a Hahns device in the 974 car?  

Just curious.

is the Hahns device required in a car over a certain mph?

The short answer is no.  I just stuff him into the seat and tie him down.  The cage of the car is a funny car style and it surrounds him and limits his movement.  We talked some about the Hahns and other altenatives but we did not use one.  I think he is going to redesign the cage some for next year.  It is too tight now.

The accident in 2005, that resulted in the death of a racer, made a lot of people take a closer look at their roll cages and devices that limit head and neck movement.

I hope Sumner and Hooley will also respond.  They have more knowledge of the situation.  

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

1FATGMC

John pretty well summed it up.  He was looking into getting one from Stroud's in Oak City, but they didn't finish up with the production of one.  I'm not sure or not if he is thinking about one again for next year or not.  They are not required at any speed and/or vehicle type right now.

If you are interested in cockpit safety you might want to read Tom Burklands' comments.  If you look down the following page for Tom's name and click on that link it will get you there:

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bonneville-Index.html

I'm going to look into some means in my lakester to limit forward helmet movement.  I almost have it now as when I slide back into the cockpit and then up it is very hard for my helmet to go forward.

c ya,

Sum