Aftermarket HEI distributors

Started by Topsterguy, September 24, 2006, 05:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

Hey All!  I'm looking at changing the stock GM points distributor in my 32 coupe to and HEI. The reason I used the points dist in the first palce was because 1) I can easily change points on the side of the I-5, but when an HEI goes you're done!) and 2) the small size. I'm thinking of the Pertronix one because I've heard that Mallory ones break down a lot and MSD is pretty much the same, right?  Any ideas / thoughts / prferences etc would be appreciated!  Thanks again!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Dave

Quote from: "Topsterguy"Hey All!  I'm looking at changing the stock GM points distributor in my 32 coupe to and HEI. The reason I used the points dist in the first palce was because 1) I can easily change points on the side of the I-5, but when an HEI goes you're done!) and 2) the small size. I'm thinking of the Pertronix one because I've heard that Mallory ones break down a lot and MSD is pretty much the same, right?  Any ideas / thoughts / prferences etc would be appreciated!  Thanks again!

Ive got a mallory vaccum advance in my 32 . Been in for 3 summers and no problemo.
Dave :arrow:

enjenjo

I've had a Mallory conversion in a window cap Delco for 16 years, and have never had to touch it.

Have  Daves HEI convert yours. Uses stock GM parts, and looks stock. And a lifetime warrentee.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rooster

Very happy with the conversion I got from Dave, Ill look for picture!

http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/

Bib_Overalls

Dave has done two distributors for me and one for a friend.  He actually rebuilds them with a curve to match your engine specs.  On my converted Chevy distributor the HEI module is mounted externally (on the bottom of the bowel) but you really have to look for it.  If you specify, he can set the unit up with a remotely mounted module (basically long lead wires).  The one for my Olds 215 will be hidden behind the dash and the wires will be loomed in with the other engine electrics.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Crosley.In.AZ

I've heard some of the budget HEI stuff like Jegs or Summit sell.......... the dizzy tends to wear out the shaft bushings quickly  causing errratic spark timing.

I have not used a HEI  from Jegs or Summit.  I usually use a MSD setup.  Dizzy and box if I buy an aftermarket  setup
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Topsterguy"1) I can easily change points on the side of the I-5, but when an HEI goes you're done!)

I've never had one just quit.  Mine along time ago started acting up and a new module fixed that.  Then I got a new coil, cap, rotor and put all the old stuff in the truck as a spare.  Two years ago the coil went out on I40 in the middle of nowhere and I pulled the spare out and was off down the road.  A coil and module take up very little room to carry as a spare and are about all that will go wrong.  I just put all new stuff in the one in the Buick and threw the old stuff in the trunk.  Car runs/starts a lot better, but the old stuff would for sure get it to the next town if needed.  I like the fact that all the stock HEI stuff is in parts houses everywhere.

c ya,

Sum

Leon

I usually use an MSD box on whatever I build, but on the latest I used an MSD HEI distributor for simplicity.  It's been working great and I didn't have to mount anything extra on the firewall.

rumrumm

Get a MSD small body distributor. They are very reliable. I have one and have used them before with no problems. But if you want the look of a stock points distributor, have Dave build one out of yours.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Topsterguy

AS always I knew I could count on you guys!  Thanks again! :D
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"