3 Phase wiring for Lathe

Started by Glen, September 29, 2006, 01:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glen

I need to wire up a new lathe I just purchased. I already run a mill on my rotary converter but  but I have no wiring diagram for the lathe....it does have a panel on the back with four wires.

1. green/yellow marked "PE"
2. black wire marked "R"
3. black wire marked "S"
4. Black wire marked "T"

My male plug I purchased is marked with G on the locking style prong.
and the rest are X, Y and Z.

I assume the locking prong labeled G is the ground and goes to the Green/yellow wire marked PE?

what about the other three wires?

If it needs to be done by a pro, I am willing to pay a house call, I hate electrical stuff!!!!!!

48flatbed

On a standard three phase system the three current carrying wires can be hooked up in any configuration.  In the case of the lathe I would check to be sure the grn/yel is connected to the frame of the lathe and if this is the case the other 3 wires can be connected however you like.  The only difference the connection makes is in the direction of rotation of the motor.  Since the lathe is designed to turn in both directions you can hook it up, turn it on, and check rotation.  Generally most people like the motor switch on the lathe to move up for standard cutting (ie: couter-clockwise looking at the 3-jaw), swapping any two of the current carrying wires will reverse the rotation.

I hope this helps.  As always with electricity if in doubt get professional help.

Jon

Glen

Thank you......that's what I thought, I was looking for a confirmation.

Glen

enjenjo

If it's the wrong rotation on the first try, switch any two legs, and it'll be right.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.