'34 Ford chassis and body advice, please

Started by 48builder, September 28, 2006, 12:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

My sister's new husband called me last night. He has been a car guy all his life, mostly Mopar muscle cars. He has gotten the bug to build a street rod, and has zeroed in on a '34 3-window. He wantwed my opinion. The only thing I could really tell him was to stay away from Street Beast. He is considering Outlaw. I told hem they are good.

Do you guys have any recommendations? He will be doing a lot of the work himself, and does not need a ultra-high dollar frame.

Thanks

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

Dave

Quote from: "48builder"My sister's new husband called me last night. He has been a car guy all his life, mostly Mopar muscle cars. He has gotten the bug to build a street rod, and has zeroed in on a '34 3-window. He wantwed my opinion. The only thing I could really tell him was to stay away from Street Beast. He is considering Outlaw. I told hem they are good.

Do you guys have any recommendations? He will be doing a lot of the work himself, and does not need a ultra-high dollar frame.

Thanks

Walt

Just make sure its a good frame.  What route is he going fenderless or fenders? That would help determine straight axle or MII but if it was me id go straight axle either way. They ride just as good as a MII on the short wheelbase cars. The ride problem occurs in  the rear not the front cause there is enuff weight with the engine to make it ride good. You need a good strong non flexing frame for a glass body. My old 34 was on a stock boxed frame by me and you could jack up the front of the car and hear the body creak :!:  I still managed to make 10k when i sold it but i got lucky. Outlaw bodies are nice and if you use thier frame too id bet the layup the body and then put the body on the floor on your frame when they bond the 2 together then they also hang the doors. A good thing to remember and ask anyone that your considering buying from. The other option if your not going direct thru outlaw is Street rods by Michael. srbymichael.com he has stuff on his web site to figure out pricing on frames framebody combos and more.. If nothing else its good refrence material. I did get my rolled 32 coupe from him . he had the best deal.
Sorry to be so long winded but it payes to do your home work.
Dave :idea:  :arrow:

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "48builder"The only thing I could really tell him was to stay away from Street Beast.  

Walt

Sounds like you and your "new" Bro-in-Law are off to a good start.

thats pretty good advice you gave him 8)

I looked at a Cornhusker chassis when I was in Pueblo for the NSRA meet.
I liked them :D
just wish they had brought one of their bodies :(

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****