Steering wheel interchange

Started by GPster, September 11, 2006, 08:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

The steering wheel on the '53 Chevy car column in my project is 18". Does anyone have an idea of the diameter and spline count in the wheel? I'd like to go to a smaller wheel that is somewhat flat (like a stock wheel). I'd almost guess that Chevy and other GMs used the same spline on all their  box/columns until '58 when they had collapseable columns with the "Rag Joint" in them. I visited Grants Web site last night and you can't get any interchange there and  their 15" wheels are too dished for me and most of what they show are 13" wheels. My coordination is tried moving the big wheel and I think I have the strength to steer it with a smaller wheel. The tri '5s had a solid column and a 15" wheel and that wheel would be the same size as my Ranger PU and that 3" diameter change would heelp me see if I'm heading the right direction. Any ideas what smaller stock wheels might fit? GPster

Dave

Geeze joe i cant help ya on this one? How about a whole newer column? It would seem that it would be easier to hook up all the way thru.
By the way are you comming to kzoo? I thought you said you were comming but my mind works in strange ways now and sometimes i ferget......

Dave

GPster

Quote from: "N8DC"By the way are you comming to kzoo? Dave
No, not this year either. There's been a lot of trips to three doctors and they're all coming up with the same analisis, I'm depressing. Trying to plan a trip with Linda that doesn't involve looking at cars, 40th wedding anniversary. GPster

enjenjo

The spline stays the same  through the years, still is for that matter. There can be some issues hooking up the horn, but the spline will fit.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.