Preserving the contents of a opened can of PRO-15.

Started by rooster, September 04, 2006, 11:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

Having some not so good results in the past I though I would ask around to see what
others are doing to protect the contents of a opened of this stuff.  The first can we had we
allowed some of the pro15 to enter the outside lip of the can and it more or less welded
the lid to the can, to open it we had to destroy the can and get another.  Along with the
new can we got a plastic re-useable paint can cover "pour it Jr." , it worked for about a
year , but then the contents started to dry out. This may have been because we didn't have
very much stored the can, smaller cans for the lid were not available. My son got a can for
his 49 chevy and before we open it thought I would check here for suggestions.

58 Yeoman

I put a plastic bag over the opening before putting the lid back on mine, but still lost the last 1 to 1 1/2 QTs to getting hard.  Better to buy in small quantities, though more expensive.  Maybe rust bullet would be better?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

MrMopar64

When I put mine up I put a piece of plastic bag.... (like a shopping bag) over the top before I put the lid on.... keeps the lid from sticking
Then put the can in a zip lock bag in case it leaks and store it upside down (something an old painter told me) in the *... of course not mama's *  :wink:  and I just used it about a week ago after being stored about a year and a half...

so far so good

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

manyolkars

The best method I have is to use two 1/4" self tapping screws. One to pour out of, the other to let air in as you pour. I put one in the lid, one in the side of the can near the top.  Keep it sealed as much as possible, by pouring small amounts in another container to work out of.  I never leave a can open more that about 15 seconds.
The  important thing is to keep the POR in the refrigerator at all times.
For those who dont know, you can wash and re-use the brush.  Use gasoline

purplepickup

I put plastic wrap, like saran wrap, on top of the open can then push it down into the can until the pocket of wrap takes up most of the air space in the can,  but it still covers the rim where the lid seals.    That keeps air away from the paint.  Then I put the lid on and keep it in the the garage along with other opened cans of paint.  

Here in Michigan it gets humid and I always let the can get at least room temperature before opening it so no condensation gets in the can.  That will ruin a can of POR15 in a heart beat.

I just finished a can that had been in the fridge for at least a year and it didn't have any skin or anything on it.
George

rooster

I wonder what the effects would be if propane gas was added to the can to displace the air in the can. BOOM!?? :shock:

Thanks for the great ideas.

tom36

Do you have a mig welder?  A little Argon gas will displace the oxygen and keep any paint from hardening.  Plastic or saran wrap will help the lid and can from "welding" itself together with POR 15.  Tom..

BFS57

Hello;
When I purchased my POR 15 from a local vendor, He stated that the best way was to not take the lid off, but poke two holes (top & Bottom) of the lid and when finished just put tape over the holes. Well, that kind of didn't work but I do believe the previous mentioned put a screw in the hole will work better!

Bruce

35WINDOW

The Argon idea sounds like a good one. There is a product called Bloxigen that is used in the Woodworking Industry-it is a gas that is designed to settle on the surface of the Paint and not allow Oxygen to come into contact with the Paint-