Frame platform

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, September 01, 2006, 11:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I've been pharting around with tubes and my frame platform thingy.

I guess sitting the body at ride height with tires and wheels would be the first item , then build the frame to fit?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

donsrods

Tony:  Yeah, I always like to have the wheels and tires I am ultimately going to use there in the very first stages of the build. That way you can plan your offset and ride height much better than if you are kinda using other tires that might not be the same.

It is always a problem for me to figure final ride height, because I just never know how much the car will settle when all the final stuff is bolted on. The car also settles more the first time you take it around the block and the springs settle down.

I like to use 2 x 4 lumber and build my frame from it first, as it is easy to modify and is about the same size as the final box tubing I usually use. You can nail up or clamp up a dummy wood frame and kind of get an idea what the final one needs to look like. Sure easier and cheaper than cutting a steel frame apart because of some change you find you need to make.

Don

donsrods

Tony:  We just pretty much did what you are doing on a T bucket frame.  I like the frame jig you did. We didn't have room for a permanent one sitting in our shop, so we built ours to stow away standing up when not in use.

Here is a picture of the T frame after welding.

Don

Crosley.In.AZ

I may build new kick ups over the rear end.  

THe formed 2x3  units in the chassis kit are POS .  The metal has a slight twist to it from the forming process.

They did not look too bad till I cut them apart , then started setting this stuff on the platform

I thought and cyphered on a way to build some sturdy / removable legs for my frame platform.  I came up empty handed , so I welded 5 adjustable legs on to it.
Tony

donsrods

The legs are a nice touch and get it up where you don't have to bend down so far.  When we get some of the cars out of the shop we may have the room to mount ours the same way and just leave it up all the time.

I missed your early on posts on this car. What are you building?

Don

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "donsrods"

I missed your early on posts on this car. What are you building?

Don

Not sure yet...... I have two vehicles to work on that need a chassis.   One of them is a secret at this point.
Tony

docchevy

Yup, it's a great idea to use the set up before you build the frame.  I had some killer Weld Wheels that I wanted to use on a Street Least.  I found that they didn't fit the first time I put the body on.  With a Street Least you MUST use front wheel drive type wheels because of the rediculous set-back.  Many of the buyers said that they didn't like the look of the off-set wheels.
#1)  Right, set up the frame with the wheels before you get too far into the project.
#2)  If you buy a Street Beast don't plan on using any "normal" looking wheels.  Ha!
Remember; Physics explains everything!

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "docchevy"
#2)  If you buy a Street Beast don't plan on using any "normal" looking wheels.  Ha!

Now, now, Johnny........any Street Beast bashing on this forum
must be approved by me.........however, since I know your 'Beast background.........feel free to bash away :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

but I do hafta admit, I have gotten alot of compliments on my 'Beast since I've been driving it 8)

good to see you back, I've missed ya :D

you haven't seen some strang little man driving around in a black and white flamed 'Pohcho wagon, have you? if you run across him, RUN THE OTHER WAY!!!! :wink:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Dave

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"
Quote from: "docchevy"

Now, now, Johnny........any Street Beast bashing on this forum
must be approved by me.........however, since I know your 'Beast background.........feel free to bash away :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

but I do hafta admit, I have gotten alot of compliments on my 'Beast since I've been driving it 8)

good to see you back, I've missed ya :D

you haven't seen some strang little man driving around in a black and white flamed 'Pohcho wagon, have you? if you run across him, RUN THE OTHER WAY!!!! :wink:

Vance

Vance you have the best looking BLUE street beast ive ever seen..
Dave
ps: I could have dreamy again............. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

EMSjunkie

Thanks Dave, the Mrs. picked the color :D

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****