O/T Storm Shutters

Started by Grandadeo, August 28, 2006, 03:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grandadeo

Anybody got a few spare minutes to help me put up my hurricane shutters this afternoon.  Looks like Ernesto will be a Category 1 when it comes over the house Wednesday AM.  That's the latest projection anyway.  Since I have shiny new store bought hurricane shutters I might as well use them.  Got to get gas for the generator too.  Hope the lines aren't too long already.  Ah the joys of living in Paradise

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

jaybee

I'm only about a 23hr straight-through drive away, I'll be over in a little bit to help!  Hope everything stays hooked to the house and all in one piece.  Be safe, I don't envy anyone who has to batten down for one of those bad boys.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

phat46

Quote from: "Grandadeo"Anybody got a few spare minutes to help me put up my hurricane shutters this afternoon.  Looks like Ernesto will be a Category 1 when it comes over the house Wednesday AM.  That's the latest projection anyway.  Since I have shiny new store bought hurricane shutters I might as well use them.  Got to get gas for the generator too.  Hope the lines aren't too long already.  Ah the joys of living in Paradise

Lee

Are you staying? I'd be outta there like greased lightning!  Good luck to you either way! :!:

Rayvyn

Quote from: "Grandadeo"Anybody got a few spare minutes to help me put up my hurricane shutters this afternoon.  Looks like Ernesto will be a Category 1 when it comes over the house Wednesday AM.  That's the latest projection anyway.  Since I have shiny new store bought hurricane shutters I might as well use them.  Got to get gas for the generator too.  Hope the lines aren't too long already.  Ah the joys of living in Paradise

Lee

I know the feeling brother. All the Federal places are starting to lockdown from the Keys up to Ft. Pierce. Looks like Miami is gonna get a washing down from this one. Here go our insurance rates again... :evil:
Good luck.
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Too far away to help...I sure hope it diminishes in strength before it gets to you guys! Good luck to both of you and be safe! If/when you're able,let us know how you guys are doing.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

EMSjunkie

isn't a catagory 1 winds less than 50 MPH?

that ain't even a stiff breeze up here :wink:

I've had patients pass gas faster than that :shock:  :lol:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "Rayvyn"[ . All the Federal places are starting to lockdown from the Keys up to Ft. Pierce.    .

might just as well, y'all get every other freakin' holiday off, why not "National Hurricane Week" :lol:  :lol:

just kiddin' y'all be safe down there.

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

Rayvyn

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"
Quote from: "Rayvyn"[ . All the Federal places are starting to lockdown from the Keys up to Ft. Pierce.    .

might just as well, y'all get every other freakin' holiday off, why not "National Hurricane Week" :lol:  :lol:

Vance

For your information there, one with so little to do that he has time to measure the velocity of gas passers, category 1 winds start at 75 mph and go up from there. :shock:

And I have a 12 hr day coming on Monday. Criminals don't take off on holidays so I can't either. And the last time you blew your siren was to beat the traffic at the red light so you could get to McDonalds before breakfast hour ended... :lol:  :lol:
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Grandadeo

A CAT 1 is over 74 MPH sustained breeze.  So far tonight this one looks like it will be less than that when it goes by.  Earlier today it was going back out to sea right over us, now the weather dudes are saying it will be west of us on the west side of Lake O and going out at Daytona.  

Had a great time with the new shutters tonight, went up easy.  The hard part was getting them down from the garage rafters.  Especially when I was up on the ladder and it kicked out from under me.  When it went down I hooked my arm around a rafter on my way down.  Sure glad I didn't hit the floor - don't bounce as good as I used to - to old I guess.  

Tomorrow I'll check out the generator and make sure its ready to go.  Got about 3 days worth of gas this afternoon so should be in pretty good shape.  Hope the dish TV stays put.  See ya on the other side.

Lee

jaybee

I think it's safe to assume you have this figured out BUT here goes.  The generator goes OUTSIDE.  A man died here during the State Fair because he was sleeping in an enclosed trailer with a generator.  Last winter an entire family nearly died because they were running a generator indoors.  When the alarm clock went off Hubby wouldn't wake up and Wifey had to drag herself to the front door using only her arms because her legs wouldn't move.

BE SAFE!
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

BFS57

Hello;
Sorry, I busy putting up my wood on my windows here in Orlando!
We will se how hurricane proof this new $30k sun room is, now won't we!
Hope you go through alright!

Bruce

Normspeed

I might be able to take a spin over to your place.  How much survival beer ya got?   :wink:

Looks like this one has a lot of rain.  Dade county is getting a good soaking.  Stay safe.

Lee

Grandadeo

Yeah Norm, stocked up on root beer for the storm.  That's what ya meant, right?  Brought Mom up from Lauderdale just to be safe.  Got all the storm panels up and the yard picked up and now the Weather Channel is calling it a dud.  And I'm fine with that.  Guess I'll leave most of the storm shutters up through the peak of the season.  Did you look into plane fares to Atlanta anymore.  Keep me posted if you make any plans.

Lee

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "Rayvyn"
Quote from: "EMSjunkie"

Vance

For your information there, one with so little to do that he has time to measure the velocity of gas passers, category 1 winds start at 75 mph and go up from there. :shock:

And I have a 12 hr day coming on Monday. Criminals don't take off on holidays so I can't either. And the last time you blew your siren was to beat the traffic at the red light so you could get to McDonalds before breakfast hour ended... :lol:  :lol:

Don't eat a MickyD's anymore........wouldn't give me the senior discount :wink:

besides, I got a siren you can blow :shock:  :lol:

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders