Ford C6 help

Started by ONE37TUDOR, August 20, 2006, 11:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONE37TUDOR

Here's the story, pulled my engine and rebuilt it and while I was at it I changed the intake manifold out.
Now my C6 will not shift out of low gear in the drive position and will only go into second if you put it into drive two.
I suspect this has something to do with where the modulator vaccuum line is connected? I think on the stock manifold the line went to the plate between the carb and manifold? Now on the new manifold I had to connect it to full manifold vaccuum. Is this wrong? Is there something else I may have overlooked that could create this problem?

Thanks,

Scott...
SCOTT,  slow moving, slow talking, no typing SCOTT

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "ONE37TUDOR"Here's the story, pulled my engine and rebuilt it and while I was at it I changed the intake manifold out.
Now my C6 will not shift out of low gear in the drive position and will only go into second if you put it into drive two.
I suspect this has something to do with where the modulator vaccuum line is connected? I think on the stock manifold the line went to the plate between the carb and manifold? Now on the new manifold I had to connect it to full manifold vaccuum. Is this wrong? Is there something else I may have overlooked that could create this problem?

Thanks,

Scott...

vacuum source should be direct manifold hook up.  Verify proper vacuum at the modulator at the tranny.  Something may be clogged up.

Do you have a steel line with rubber at each end?  

IF you pull the hose off the modulator , does tranny fluid run out?  No fluid should run out of the vacuum port on the modulator
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

ONE37TUDOR

Thanks for the reply, I will check for something stoped up. This is a metal line with vaccuum hoses on each end. The old hose I removed was rubber for the entire length.
Is there any way the kickdown could create this problem? I know it is not right but then it was not right prior to the work but then the shifts would come rather quickly with the car in high gear by 15 or 20 mph under light acceleration.

Scott...

phat46

Quote from: "ONE37TUDOR"Thanks for the reply, I will check for something stoped up. This is a metal line with vaccuum hoses on each end. The old hose I removed was rubber for the entire length.
Is there any way the kickdown could create this problem? I know it is not right but then it was not right prior to the work but then the shifts would come rather quickly with the car in high gear by 15 or 20 mph under light acceleration.

Scott...

Same problem I am fighting, I posted the same question last week and tried all the suggestions with no change. I am going to try a new modulator and see if that changes anything. I even tried wiring the kickdown arm to the opposite postion that it was in with no change. If you find a soulution, let me know, and I'll do the same if i figure it out.

ONE37TUDOR

I will let you know what I find out. I was told today that if you do not get the converter full of fluid it can trap air in the system and could cause this problem. I was told that I should try to drive a ways in reverse and/or back up the steepest hill I could find?
I don't know about this advice? Sounds like snipe hunting to me but if I can't find anything else to blame it on I guee I could try it????

Scott...

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "ONE37TUDOR"I will let you know what I find out. I was told today that if you do not get the converter full of fluid it can trap air in the system and could cause this problem. I was told that I should try to drive a ways in reverse and/or back up the steepest hill I could find?
I don't know about this advice? Sounds like snipe hunting to me but if I can't find anything else to blame it on I guee I could try it????

Scott...

that is incorrect advice..... folk lore , wives tale , bs.  One of the first place fluid is pumped when the engine is started is into the converter. It is a constant circulation of fluid in , fluid out of the converter.

Air can get trapped in a torque converter, but it is pushed out after a few minutes of operation time.  It has no effect on shifting though
Tony

phat46

Quote from: "ONE37TUDOR"I will let you know what I find out. I was told today that if you do not get the converter full of fluid it can trap air in the system and could cause this problem. I was told that I should try to drive a ways in reverse and/or back up the steepest hill I could find?

Scott...

I've driven mine about five miles in low gear, it has been backed up quite a few times too, but not up a steep hill. I'm gonna try a new vac. modulator tomorrow........

ONE37TUDOR

Following Crosley's suggestion to look for a blockage in the vaccuum lines I removed the line at the modulator and there was no vaccuum so I removed all the line and found a blockage in the new metal part of the line. It looked like old dried up rubber hose material? Have no idea where it came from but the transmission now appears to shift. I haven't driven it but with it in the air and in drive it will shift from low to second so I believe it will work now.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction - I would of felt pretty stupid backing around my neighborhood and up hills???

Scott...

phat46

Got mine shifting too. The modulator was bad. I finally got a new one after three days af trying. (long story) I took it around the block tonight and after a couple starts and stops it will now go into second. i don't have a long enough stretch to try for third as i have no plates or insurance on it yet and I'm just sneeking around the neighborhood.

ONE37TUDOR

Congrats, glad it worked out for you. I am in the same situation with expired plates and sticker. Thats why I just checked mine out while on jack stands.

Scott...

Crosley.In.AZ

glad to read a couple of trannys are working good....... it has not been a smooth week in tranny land for me.

oh well, monday is coming up.... oops, i'm on vacation next week.

:lol:
Tony

phat46

Quote from: "Crosley"glad to read a couple of trannys are working good....... it has not been a smooth week in tranny land for me.

oh well, monday is coming up.... oops, i'm on vacation next week.

:lol:

Do you think mine will smoothout any after some use? The shifts are rather abrupt and you can feel the downshift into low like when you'd shift it manually. I did notice that it smoothed out a little each time it shifted, but was still harsher than what I'd expect from a stock trans. I was only able to let it upshift and downshift three or four times till i chickened out driving with no plate!

ONE37TUDOR

Was able to take mine to a small meet near my house today. I guess the trannie is working OK? I can only feel a second to third shift but I have really tall gears in the rear and this motor has enough torque that it really does not need low gear for normal driving. I am still having the same problem I had before I rebuilt the engine. If you mat the pedal to the floor it will go downshift - then almost immediately up shift again? I think I just need to work on the kickdown adjustments some more. I will wait until I get the plates and sticker before I start doing that???

Scott...