Mystery motor ID

Started by Rayvyn, August 16, 2006, 05:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayvyn

Anyone familiar with this motor? I'm thinking it's a Pontiac 287, but not 100% sure. It's in a late 50's Pontiac, but the owner doesn't know if it's the stock motor or not.
Thanks
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Rayvyn

Quote from: "Rayvyn"Anyone familiar with this motor? I'm thinking it's a Pontiac 287, but not 100% sure. It's in a late 50's Pontiac, but the owner doesn't know if it's the stock motor or not.
Thanks

It's the best I can do for now. Sorry about the size.  (do not insert smart comments here... :roll: )
***SFC-Team Smart***

Dave

Quote from: "Rayvyn"
Quote from: "Rayvyn"Anyone familiar with this motor? I'm thinking it's a Pontiac 287, but not 100% sure. It's in a late 50's Pontiac, but the owner doesn't know if it's the stock motor or not.
Thanks

It's the best I can do for now. Sorry about the size.  (do not insert smart comments here... :roll: )

Well bryan us old guys cant see too well so i really got no idea what the hell that is?
Might be a lincoln straight 8 or might be a pinto 4 banger :?:
What is the next test :?:
Dave

slocrow

Brian; It's a Pontiac in what looks like a 55, 56 or 57 body (heater box, drivers side firewall) but who knows the displacement. Yes 287 in 55, 316-56, 347-57, 370-58 & 389-59+ but I'm not sure how to tell them apart.
For example, the front cover could have been used from an early model and put on a 389 for front engine mount usage, I think.
Casting numbers should tell..................I'd suggest any number of Pontiac forums.............Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

58 Yeoman

I must've gone blind while out cutting hedges.  I can't see any stinkin' motor. :shock:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Rayvyn

Quote from: "N8DC"
Quote from: "Rayvyn"
Thanks

Well bryan us old guys cant see too well so i really got no idea what the hell that is?
Might be a lincoln straight 8 or might be a pinto 4 banger :?:
What is the next test :?:
Dave

Yeah,yeah,yeah...
It ain't my picture.

I had it sent to me that way, and when I tried to enlarge it, it got all blurry.  :D

Kinda like what happens to you old guys when you start feeling a little frisky... :lol:  :lol:
***SFC-Team Smart***

58 Yeoman

Right after I posted my reply, the site went down (for me, anyway).  Got some weird error messages, and couldn't get back in.  I can see the pic today, but can't help identify it.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Fat Cat

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Right after I posted my reply, the site went down (for me, anyway).  Got some weird error messages, and couldn't get back in.  I can see the pic today, but can't help identify it.

Those errors were due to the fact I was working on the site at that time.