why is it ?????????????

Started by Dave, August 18, 2006, 05:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Ive been looking at a couple a pickups on egay. The one I really liked was done rat rod style and it made a 15k price and never sold and it had a v 6 in it? Why is it that people think these things are gold?  Im thinkin ill be glad when this rat rod (ya if i said that on the hamb id be dead) stuff reaches its peak and people actually do body work and prime a car before trying to sell it. Even if they cant afford paint a smooth primed car is a nice thing to buy. Sorry but traditional they are not . If they were they would at least have some kind of paint on them.
Dave

kb426

I agree. SSHHHH! Don't let anyone know that we were alive in the 50's and 60's
TEAM SMART

Rayvyn

Quote from: "N8DC"Ive been looking at a couple a pickups on egay. The one I really liked was done rat rod style and it made a 15k price and never sold and it had a v 6 in it? Why is it that people think these things are gold?  Im thinkin ill be glad when this rat rod (ya if i said that on the hamb id be dead) stuff reaches its peak and people actually do body work and prime a car before trying to sell it. Even if they cant afford paint a smooth primed car is a nice thing to buy. Sorry but traditional they are not . If they were they would at least have some kind of paint on them.
Dave

You'll be loving this one. Body held together with bailing wire, chicken wire for a bed cover and rear window, and the front shocks mounted to the grill shell... :shock:

This has got to be the rattiest one I've seen yet. If I had driven a rat rod style car back in the 40's and 50's, I'd be ashamed to admit that I drove something like this.

CLIK HERE
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

phat rat

yea and look at the price $15,000 and still hasn't hit reserve :shock:
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

donsrods

I agree about the pricing.  I am seeing rat rods going for more than finished, well built cars.  It isn't all that uncommon to see a rat going for $ 15,000 to $20,000.00 on Ebay, when that same money could buy you a nicer car.

Funny part is, I understand the rat rod thing, up to the point of being built with crap parts. That is where I draw the line.  I'm putting together a little modified T right now, and I drew some of the ideas for it from some rat rods I have seen. But it will probably be painted and will certainly be built to be safe and dependable.  It is finally up on wheels and I am able to roll it around the garage.

Here is a picture of the car that inspired it, and a pictire of the one I am building.

Don

donsrods

and here is the one that inspired me to build it.

kb426

Was the inspiration the car or the girl? :lol:
TEAM SMART

donsrods

A little of both. :D  :D  :D  :D

Don

Beck

Their pricing has gotten out of hand. I was planning to build one and started shopping for an old cab. Check the prices of those online. Crazy! I saw one a few weeks ago that I thought I was going to buy. I quit at $800. The reserve was $1000. This was a '38 Chevy pu cab with hood, grill shell and trashed fenders. Look what the old headlights are bringing online. For something cool it will be another $200. (I did score a set of '29 Chevy big truck lights the other day for a fair price though.)

This whole price situation is what prompted me to move to a late model rat. ('62 Chevy shortbed stepside) I bought the '62 and today picked up a '81 shortbed for the chassis. The '81 drove down the highway, but not well. I still don't have $1k invested. A couple of patches in the cab, a quick rebuild of the 305/350 and down the road.

As far as the flat black paint goes, it really isn't any cheaper to paint flat black than any other color if it is done right. The body work still has to be right under the primer, same as color. Black is black and it will still show imperfections. Primer really is not what you want for a finish coat, so you are looking at one of the specialty paints like the Dupont Hot Rod Black or others brands which cost the same, about $70 per qt. I can buy color for that! If you are after the rusty look now you have to use several coats of different color base coats ( 2 tints of red oxide and then a top color.) Then sand through the top coats to the bottom coats to make it look weathered. Then you have to follow with clear loaded with flattener. You just bought 3 times as much color as it would have taken to go single color and shiny. What we'll do to look cool!

Beck

Rex Schimmer

My son saw the attached post on a MOPAR web site and it is about painting your car with what is basically Rustoleum using a foam roller. The post was from January of this year and I hope that I can attach it because this guy did a pretty good looking paint job on a Charger for around $50 and some elbow grease!

Rex Schimmer

I converted the post on the Mopar site including a picture of a 69 charger that the guy painted using a foam roller, into an Adobe file but I can't seem to get it to post here!!!! This is to good of idea to not spread it around. My son has a 72 Datsun 510 that we are going to try this method of painting on, so if it works I'll post some pictures.

Rex