Fuel and oil additives

Started by EMSjunkie, August 11, 2006, 10:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EMSjunkie

Do any of ya'all use them?
if so, which ones, and why?

I was at the local AutoZoo today, and noticed there is a bunch of different
stuff you can pour into the crankcase or fuel tank.

personally, I use 104+ octane booster, when I think about it :oops:

a buddy back in Kansas swears by Marvel Mystery Oil.
he puts a quart in every oil change. I have been there when he drains the old oil, it still looks like it just came out of the bottle :shock:

just kinda curious about some of the claims these companies make :?
I would  like to hear some "real world" information, good and/or bad
about the various products.

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

I am not a big believer of  "miracles in a bottle" but once a year,about 500 miles before I change the oil,I drain the motor down a bit and add a quart of Risolone.I drive for the 500 miles or so and then drain it at the oil change.That's not what the directions on the bottle say but my grandfather,who was a mechanic,got me started on it and I've used it my whole life.Another product I like is SeaFoam,I periodically add it to the fuel tank to clean up the carb or injectors.....I also use it as a stabilizer in everything over the Winter....Works Great!!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Crosley.In.AZ

I put Stabil in my gasoline can here at the house for the lawn tractor , old cars , etc.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Bob Paulin

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"Do any of ya'all use them?

I was at the local AutoZoo today, and noticed there is a bunch of different
stuff you can pour into the crankcase or fuel tank.

personally, I use 104+ octane booster, when I think about it :oops:

a buddy back in Kansas swears by Marvel Mystery Oil.
he puts a quart in every oil change. I have been there when he drains the old oil, it still looks like it just came out of the bottle :shock:

just kinda curious about some of the claims these companies make :?

Vance

They've changed the printing on the cans, but 104+ "Octane Booster" used to say,

"Boosts octane effect by modifying combustion chamber deposits and reducing octane requirements."

IOW - It doesn't INCREASE the octane, it REDUCES the combustion chamber pressure by removing carbon deposits - thus, lowering the octane requirements of the engine, allowing you to use a lower octane fuel.

I believe  if you use good oil that meets current API specifications, and you don't buy bottom-of-the-bilge bargain gasoline, you probably don't need ANY sort of additives.

Besides, I would be afraid that the aftermarket additive package might, somehow, interact badly with the oil refinery's additive package - either negating a positive effect, or, worse, creating a damaging effect.

If your buddy's oil looks as though it just came out of the bottle, he's either.....

a.) Using a non-detergent oil that does not clean the internals....

b.) Changing his oil WAY too often.

A good quality oil WILL slowly get black as the detergents absorb the dirt, soot and carbon that gets past the rings.

That is normal.
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

Rayvyn

Vance

I remember both my Granddads using Rislone during oil changes, and one would even squirt in a pint can of liquid wrench and run the car for awhile before changing the oil.

As a gas additive, my dad and his farmer family elders always added a little homemade stuff to the tank, then drank what was left. Moonshine works well; I still use a little now and then. (for the car).  Not that I'm implying the illegal purchasing and storing of untaxed liquor, mind you. But if one should happen to come across this substance... 8)  8)  8)  :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

tomslik

Quote from: "Rayvyn"

Vance

I remember both my Granddads using Rislone during oil changes, and one would even squirt in a pint can of liquid wrench and run the car for awhile before changing the oil.

As a gas additive, my dad and his farmer family elders always added a little homemade stuff to the tank, then drank what was left. Moonshine works well; I still use a little now and then. (for the car).  Not that I'm implying the illegal purchasing and storing of untaxed liquor, mind you. But if one should happen to come across this substance... 8)  8)  8)  :D

you can always buy a 5th of everclear....

that stuff make you do weird chit...

phillips ain't as good, i did a test....maybe next year a b'ville i'll tell ya about it....

oh yeah, what i WILL tell ya is that after a 'clear night, i'd put whatever was leftover in my 250 yamaha.....it'd outrun the 400's with that stuff in there...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Glen

Iam definitely sold on the Chevron Techron concentrate you can purchase in the bottle.

Crosley.In.AZ

Lubegard ATF additive for automatic trannys
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Mr Cool

Over here we have a product called Pro-ma MBL8, its an oil additive that actually works. It lowered the temp in the gearbox on the racecar by about 20 degrees F, and less noise. It was due for a re-build so I had nothing to lose by trying it. BTW, that 'box is still in there some 5 years later. :shock: and its been thrashed a fair bit.
I also put some in an old engine and it idled smoother and some of the knocking noises disappeared. That engine was then run in one of those comps where you run the engine flat-out with no oil or water, to see which one lasts the longest. It was turned off after the others all let go as the noise was getting a bit much after a while.
Does it work? I rekon it does.

The same company also has a fuel additive, claims are to clean and lube the fuel system. I have also tried it and found that the typical Holley carby leaks have not happened due to dried out seals and gaskets like they usually do.
Im not promoting anything, but you did ask.
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

EMSjunkie

Thanks everybody for you input.

I was kinda wondering about some of this stuff. :?

Thanks Bob for the info about 104+...... guess I'll save my money.

Thank you Mr. Cool, that wasa great testimonial, reckon what the U.S. equivalent is?

Thanks again folks, "knowledge is power"

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****