Staggered Bolt Starter

Started by timkins, August 03, 2006, 10:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timkins

I am in the process of purchasing a new mini started for my SBC. I have been looking at them on EBAY and one of the sites lists a direct interchange with some newer models, such as the 99-2000 Cadillac Escalade, and several other late model GM motors. Is the earlier staggered bolt pattern (mid 70's truck engine) the same staggered bolt pattern as the late models. One of the sellers also sent me an e-mail that stated I could use a straight bolt pattern starter as the blocks were all tapped for a straight bolt pattern. Is this also true????

Leon

I just installed a mini starter and it was drilled for the straight pattern, and had two sets of holes so I could line it up with a large or small flexplate.  My block is a 96 -up and it is drilled for both the straight and staggered.  The only thing I had to do is put about 1/16" worth of shims in to get the clearance right at the gears.

phat rat

I would recommend a GM hi-torque starter not some offshore piece of junk. Yes some of the newer staggered are same. Some are just barely staggered the 5.3 is one example. My 02 Chevy truck with the 8.1 takes same starter as my coupes 454
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.