'62 Chevy PU frame information needed

Started by Beck, August 14, 2006, 07:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

It has been quite a while since I have been here. I got the 32 coupe done so I went out and bought a new project today. I may have acted to quickly.

I bought a '62 Chevy PU today. The frame is bare with no suspension. Big problem? I was slightly familiar with swapping front suspension parts out on the 66 PU and thought it would work on the '62 frame also. After searching some of the truck supplier sights it appears that the "62 frame may not be like the '66. Can anyone share some information?

The seller has an early '80s GMC shortbed 2wd that he was planning to use the chassis from. He says the only thing needed to mount all the '62 sheet metal is to drill new mounting holes in the cab. I thought this seemed way to easy to be true.

I also have a late 70s Chevy short bed frame to use if that helps.

Did I just jump in the DEEP water? I don't know how these late models go together! :oops:

Beck

48ford

Hi Beck,
I'm almose positive the frame i the same as the 66,If so a later front end crossmember almost falls into place,the rear had coil springs and big arms that went tward the front center,I used the rear out of a later 1/2 ton springs and all and put one together that way.
For more info on the truck,go to chevytalk.com,they have a section on just the trucks you are working on.
Russ

Fat Cat

Quote from: "Beck"It has been quite a while since I have been here. I got the 32 coupe done so I went out and bought a new project today. I may have acted to quickly.

I bought a '62 Chevy PU today. The frame is bare with no suspension. Big problem? I was slightly familiar with swapping front suspension parts out on the 66 PU and thought it would work on the '62 frame also. After searching some of the truck supplier sights it appears that the "62 frame may not be like the '66. Can anyone share some information?

The seller has an early '80s GMC shortbed 2wd that he was planning to use the chassis from. He says the only thing needed to mount all the '62 sheet metal is to drill new mounting holes in the cab. I thought this seemed way to easy to be true.

I also have a late 70s Chevy short bed frame to use if that helps.

Did I just jump in the DEEP water? I don't know how these late models go together! :oops:

Beck

I did a 61 Chevy onto a 75 blazer chassis. I had to make the front mounts wider to catch the original holes and fab a rear cab mount. But with a truck chassis I would suspect that you could work off of the original rear cab mounts. I had to fab because the blazer rear mounts were much father back than truck mounts.

Beck

Quote from: "48ford"Hi Beck,
I'm almose positive the frame i the same as the 66,If so a later front end crossmember almost falls into place,the rear had coil springs and big arms that went tward the front center,I used the rear out of a later 1/2 ton springs and all and put one together that way.
For more info on the truck,go to chevytalk.com,they have a section on just the trucks you are working on.
Russ

I visited a coupe of classic truck sights. They list front coil springs for these trucks. There listing goes from 63-66 for these trucks. That made me think things were not the same on the front suspension.

I went to the sight you recomended. Lots of information, but I didn't see anything on this frame swap information.

This is a whole new learning curve for me. Unfortunatley I am at the very bottom of the upward road. Mistakes will be made on the way!

Thanks,
Beck

Beck

I think I just found the answer. 62 had torsion bars, not coil springs.

Beck

OldSub

Quote from: "Beck"62 had torsion bars, not coil springs.

'59 was the last straight axle 1/2-ton and '63 the first coil spring IFS.  The '60-'62 have the torsion bar IFS.

I've also been told the frame is significantly different too, but I don't recall ever crawling under one to look.

Disk brake, IFS and frame swap questions on these trucks turn up often at Stovebolt and ChevyTalk.  I don't own one and have never felt like I heard a definitive answer to the questions.

My bet is that you can swap to a later pickup frame with out as much trouble as many frame swaps would give you.  I'd look for a '63 to '66 because the bodies are so similar.  Then update that frame with '72 or later IFS to get the disk brakes, and if your new frame is coils, a '72 rear axle to get matching bolt pattern.

But I think the best bet is to find someone who has fought it all the way through and can give more specific answers.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

enjenjo

The cab mounts on a 73 to 87 frame are 4" wider at the front, I suppose you could drill new holes, but I just extended the frame portion of the mount as fatcat said. You may have to drill new holes for the rear mounts.  The wheelbase on a 73 to 87 shortbed frame is close enough to use as is. You need a spacer on the core support mounts, but the are in the right place. 73 and up disc brake booster wil bolt to the firewall, after drilling some holes and will work with the stock brake pedal.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Beck

Quote from: "enjenjo"The cab mounts on a 73 to 87 frame are 4" wider at the front, I suppose you could drill new holes, but I just extended the frame portion of the mount as fatcat said. You may have to drill new holes for the rear mounts.  The wheelbase on a 73 to 87 shortbed frame is close enough to use as is. You need a spacer on the core support mounts, but the are in the right place. 73 and up disc brake booster wil bolt to the firewall, after drilling some holes and will work with the stock brake pedal.

I have a 62 frame. They are several inches wider than the 63 - 66 frame at the front cab mount. In fact the cab that was with this purchase is a 63 and the floor has been redrilled (front body mounts) to mount on the 62 frame. Is the 73 - 87 frame wider than the 61 & 62 or the 63 to 66? I guess it doesn't really matter much. I almost have to go with a different frame or really start shopping for a complete frame. My frame is bare. There are no suspension parts on it. I have a source for two different complete 78 short bed frames. It looks like that is my simplest bet. I don't like the idea that the track width is 3" wider. I hope that doesn't cause any fender clearance problems. Any idea how "close" the wheelbase is or how thick the core support spacers need to be? Do I use the spacers with the 62 core support rubbers or the late model mounting rubbers?

I took the cab to the local media blaster today so I can't compare how much wider the 62 front mount holes are than the 63 holes. Hope the blaster blows out all of those pesky roaches that were under the firewall insulation. I wouldn't bring the cab into the garage for feer of them taking up residence.

Thanks for the help guys,
Beck

enjenjo

As I recall, the 62 front cab mounts are about 3" overall wider than a 73. The spacers were used with the 73 style core support mounts, and were 3" high or so. The wheelbase is about 1/2" different. 115.5 vs 116.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.