Convertible top switch

Started by junkyardjeff, August 01, 2006, 09:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

Well I got the top cylinders hooked up today and run the top up and down by jumping the wires on the relay while I was in the back seat so I hooked up the two wires comming from the switch to the relay and nothing,the original switch grounded the relay as there are only two posts on the switch.  So it looks like I have to find a switch with three posts that looks kind of from the 50s,I wish I would of looked at a wiring diagram before I started this top motor conversion as I wanted to use the original switch.  I should of got a motor and relay from a 56 ford or mrec but I am too far to turn around now.  Jeff

enjenjo

You can use the original switch by using it to ground relays that run the motor. There is info here to help you wire it.  http://www.commandocaralarms.com/info_spdt_relays.asp

And here are some relays that will work  http://order.waytekwire.com/CGI-BIN/LANSAWEB?WEBEVENT+L0B7FA56928348100B25C012+M37+ENG
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

junkyardjeff

I am going to talk to the alarm installers at work and see what they say as they are always messing with relays,the latemodel lebaron relay uses power to activate and the original the opposite.  It seems like I wil need a relay to change positive to ground or something like that.  Jeff

enjenjo

The first link tells you how to work a relay with the ground circuit. Most any relay can be operated by switching either the power, or the ground.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

48builder

Quote from: "enjenjo"The first link tells you how to work a relay with the ground circuit. Most any relay can be operated by switching either the power, or the ground.

Hey Frank,

I thinkyou just answered a question of mine. In order to make my side marker lights not blink when the door is open, I need to wire a realy so that it supplies full-time power to the light when I complete the ground cuircuit by opening the door. Thanks!

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

junkyardjeff

I think I have the problem solved,I discussed the problem with the alarm installers and they wired me up a relay to activate on ground.  We did not know if the relay will handle the draw of the top motor so its basicly going to be a relay sending volts to another relay and if it works it will stay that way.  Jeff