Switch pitch t400

Started by sirstude, July 10, 2006, 09:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

I was just given a switch pitch t400 the other day.  This has been put into a Chevy case so I was thinking about using it on the Olds.  Lots of car and the switch pitch should help it get going.  I was wondering if anyone has a picture of the switch hookup on the carb.  I assume there is some kind of electric switch kind of like the kick down switch up at the carburetor.  I was out at the local yard this weekend, but didn't see any setups there at the time.  I will have to go out again when I have more time.  But anyway, if anyone happens to have a pic or other hookup info, please post it.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Deuce

I have a switch pitch Turbo 400 ... in a Chevrolet case and I love it ...
My solution is homemade ... not factory ...
But it works ...
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

Deuce

File too large to attach ...  :cry:

Had to go load photo to the net and then post ...

Homemade but works GREAT ... less cluttered than a original GM one also ... IMHO  :)

sirstude

Great pictureand hookup, does the switch open or close when you give it throttle?  Looks like quarter or so throttle before it changes.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Deuce

I must have had brain fade ...  :(  or diabetic comma ...  :roll:
The switch only does the kick down ... or passing gear function ...
I control the two different stall speeds with a off/on toggle  switch.

I had it working off the brake pedal ...  :lol:  like a early 60's GM pickup lever type ... but my 32 is so light I could not really tell when it was working or not ... SO I put it on the toggle switch ... as a test and just left it that way ...

It works ...  :)
The car leaves pretty hard with the stall in low speed ... but hold on when it is in high stall ... two different cars almost ...

Around town driving in everyday traffic ... you cannot hardly tell the difference .. ( car so light .... 2240 lbs ... and the cam with .525 lift ... ) You have to really be mashing it hard to see the difference.

The stock switch controls the passing gear and the variable stall ... but are large and ugly IMHO ... and 40 years old ... so I came up with something a little more simple ...

enjenjo

You can mount a micro switch so the throttle lever just touches it under the dash with the throttle closed, and it will switch it to high pitch, as did the original application. On my car, I had a line lock switch in the shifter handle, depress the switch, and it was in high stall, release it, and it was in low stall.

Hopefully the person who switched it to the Chevy case knew what he was doing, there is an orfice that had to be pressed into an oil passage behind the front pump.

If it has a 13" convertor, the high stall will be about 1200 to 1300 rpm. If it's an 11" convertor, the high stall will be about 1600 to 1700. The 11" convertor comes out of a Super Turbine 300.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

sirstude

Frank,

He does know transmissions, but I will ask him anyway.  So once the converter has gone to high stall, it will stay there even with the switch open correct?  Must take lifting, or shifting for the pressure to change and let the converter go to low stall?  Seems like I came across something that someone had written that led me to believe that.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

Quote from: "sirstude"Frank,

He does know transmissions, but I will ask him anyway.  So once the converter has gone to high stall, it will stay there even with the switch open correct?  Must take lifting, or shifting for the pressure to change and let the converter go to low stall?  Seems like I came across something that someone had written that led me to believe that.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Doug

No. As soon as you release the button, it will go to low stall. It was originally used to stop creep at a stop light. When the throttle went back to the idle position, it went into high stall, and as soon as you depressed the throttle, it went back into low stall.

When I was racing one, I used it like a trans brake. Hold the button down until the last yellow, and release the button, flooring the throttle at the same time.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

some of the caddys used a switch to activate the high stall range if the gas pedal was stepped on hard from a stop.  The xtra stall got the ol boat moving a bit quicker.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

sirstude

Again all, thanks for the information, I sometimes forget to thank everyone, but it is great appreciated.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us