cushion for my tushion

Started by river1, July 13, 2006, 02:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

river1

i need to replace the foam in my front seat. the seat cover will be kept.
how do i figure out how much foam to put in?
the old foam is disintegrating so i can't use that as a guide.
any tips for a more comfortable seat?

thanks in advance
jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

EMSjunkie

It depends on how hard or soft you like your"tushion"  :shock:  

any upholstery shop should have a wide variety of foam and different paddings.

I have access to wheelchair cushions. they make one now that is gel-filled. 8)  stop by a home medical equipment place and see what they have.

good luck with the "tushion cushion" :wink:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Rayvyn

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"
I have access to wheelchair cushions. they make one now that is gel-filled:wink:
Vance

I thought all you Texans were big rough tough, hard saddle sitting, long riding, spit and vinegar drinking Bad A#@ outlaws... 8)

And here I read about gelled tushy cushys for your street rods? Next it'll be an expresso machine in the center console for those Caramel Frappe Mochas you need for those long drives while listening to your Yanni tapes... :oops:

You really didn't think I was gunna let this one pass by, did you...?  :lol:
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "Rayvyn"
Quote from: "EMSjunkie"
I have access to wheelchair cushions. they make one now that is gel-filled:wink:
Vance

I thought all you Texans were big rough tough, hard saddle sitting, long riding, spit and vinegar drinking Bad A#@ outlaws... 8)

And here I read about gelled tushy cushys for your street rods? Next it'll be an expresso machine in the center console for those Caramel Frappe Mochas you need for those long drives while listening to your Yanni tapes... :oops:

You really didn't think I was gunna let this one pass by, did you...?  :lol:

I'd a been disappointed if ya had a let it slide :)

back in my younger days, I'd a told him to get a cinder block and suck it up. :cry:
but after reaching that "certain age" when you quit worrying about going fast, and concentrate on going comfortable :roll: I can empathize with Jim. :shock:  besides, I don't drink Crappicino, but, Yanni ROCKS!!

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Rayvyn

Quote from: "river1"i need to replace the foam in my front seat. the seat cover will be kept.
how do i figure out how much foam to put in?
the old foam is disintegrating so i can't use that as a guide.
any tips for a more comfortable seat?

thanks in advance
jim

Take a sample of the old foam to an upholsterer; they should be able to tell what density it is. They can mock up the new foam by placing the cushion over it and shaping it to finished size. Or do it yourself with an electric turkey carving knife and a sander. Just remember to lay the cover out in the sun for a couple of hours to make it plyable. Pack it until it feels good with out stretching the material to extremes.
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

donsrods

Something else that helps is to not put the foam over solid plywood, but rather to cut out the entire center of the plywood base, and then lace webbing cris=crossed over the cut out. You staple the webbing  (like the webbing you use to restring aluminum fold up lawn chairs) in a checkerboard pattern across the cut out, intertwining it and then stapling it to the plywood. You stretch it tightly while you staple it.

Then you put burlap over the whole thing, and finally put your foam on top of that. By doing this, your butt is not sitting directly on foam over plywood, but foam over webbing, which gives a little.

I did this on my '27, and the seat is really comfortable even on long trips.

Don

donsrods

Quote from: "donsrods"Something else that helps is to not put the foam over solid plywood, but rather to cut out the entire center of the plywood base, and then lace webbing cris=crossed over the cut out. You staple the webbing  (like the webbing you use to restring aluminum fold up lawn chairs in a checkerboard pattern across the cut out, intertwining it and then stapling it to the plywood. You stretch it tightly while you staple it.

Then you put burlap over the whole thing, and finally put your foam on top of that. By doing this, your butt is not sitting directly on foam over plywood, but foam over webbing, which gives a little.

I did this on my '27, and the seat is really comfortable even on long trips.

Don

PS:  There are two types of foam. Open cell..........softer and not water resistant.  Closed cell........little stiffer, but won't absorb water as easily. Closed cell is also more expensive.