Went shopping for a new truck

Started by 48ford, July 13, 2006, 08:11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ford

My last new truck was 1994,I know things have changed,but wow,no salesmen just ordertakers,we looked at fords&dodge,seems I did my homework and I think we knew more on their products than they did!
 I retired from ford,and#1 son is a welder at Chrysler so I looked at both.
But the seats in the 46 came out of a gmc truck and I think they set better than ford or dodge. No one is building junk anymore,so I just need to pick one.
Russ&Irene

Deuce

I agree ... GM seats do feel better to my behind ...

I have bought 5 or 6 new trucks for myself in the past 20 years ... all Chevrolets ... and have gotten a 100 thousand miles out of every one of them with NO problems what so ever ...

BUT ... I believe I could do the same with Ford or Dodge ... I worked for the government for the past 30 years and we drove whatever " Low Bid " could buy and all the Big 3 worked about the same ... proper maintenance ... no real abuse ... and 100 - 125 thousand miles ... no problems.

It boils down to what you like ... I like the way the GM trucks drive. I do not like the windshield in my face feel I got in the Dodge. The Ford seats are flatter and a flashlight will not stay on the seat when you put on the brakes ... hard. I looked at the HEMI Dodge pickup in 2004 ... I got a Silverado ... better mileage ... A buddy bought the HEMI ... and my Silverado gets 4 to 5 MPG better mileage ... His is 1 to 2 truck lenghts faster in a 1/4  :)

We both have enclosed car trailers and my truck gets 2 MPG better loaded than his ...

I looked at the diesel pickups but had to got up to a 2500 series long bed or a extra cab short bed to get the diesel in the Silverado ... and I wanted a standard cab ... short bed ... The Dodge and Ford diesels were just too noisy for me ...
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

parklane

The newest style Dodge diesel isn't as noisy anymore, and they are the best for mpg of fuel. They are also the ones that seem to outlast the other two.

John :)
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

Sean

I just got a new company truck last week, its an '06 Ford. Seats suck, turn signal lever is too short to reach comfortably, and although its a V-8, it must be a tiny one. It runs kind of like a 2 stroke dirt-bike. It doesn't feel like its doing anything until it gets up around 3000rpm. Fairly nice Truck though, all in all.

Our Superintendent has the much nicer Lariat 4 door. Its a good looking truck, inside and out. His seats aren't much better though. When he ordered our new trucks, I asked for a Chevy. He's a die hard Ford man though and told me I'd just have to get used to driving the best... :roll:

tomslik

Quote from: "Sean"I just got a new company truck last week, its an '06 Ford. Seats suck, turn signal lever is too short to reach comfortably, and although its a V-8, it must be a tiny one. It runs kind of like a 2 stroke dirt-bike. It doesn't feel like its doing anything until it gets up around 3000rpm. Fairly nice Truck though, all in all.

Our Superintendent has the much nicer Lariat 4 door. Its a good looking truck, inside and out. His seats aren't much better though. When he ordered our new trucks, I asked for a Chevy. He's a die hard Ford man though and told me I'd just have to get used to driving the best... :roll:

"best"

good one....

wait'll he has to pay for 3hrs labor changing plugs.....

or pull the body to do head work.... :shock:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

48ford

You boys are scarin' me! My old 94 diesel sits great! and gets 20 on the open road. May just try washing it
Russ&Irene

35WINDOW

I work for a Company that owns two GM Dealerships, and, of course, we run all GMC's. I wanted to see how far my last Company Truck would go (to make a point to my Employees-1999 extended Cab, Auto, 4wd, 1500 w/5.3). Well, I ran it to 300,000 and it still runs like a top and gets 21 mpg on the highway, still is tight-I pulled it out of the Fleet last year, and I heard the kid who bought it says is still running great and it is rattle free.

I manage 5 Salesmen (I run a John Deere Ag and Construction Dealership), and we have a bunch of 6.0's and Duramaxes-have a few Duramaxes that have had Injector problems lately (not sure why), as it is happening with Trucks with 100,000 miles as well as 3,000 miles (2002-2006 models). We think it may be related to new fuel blends. Sure love those new Allisons for towing, though.

Anyway, I have had 3-5.3's-two Company pickups and I bought a Yukon. The funny thing is, I have noticed that at about 100,000 miles the engines are picking up about 20-30 additional Horsepwer and I get about 1 mpg better-those enignes are great.

I was a devout Ford pickup lover, but I have to say, I will be buying GM until they screw it up-