S-10 5-speeds.......Which ones to use?

Started by Topsterguy, July 05, 2006, 01:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

I'm looking at changing the T-350 in my 32 roadster to a standard, preferrably a 5 speed. I've heard lots about guys using the 5 speeds out of S-10's, but what models, years ,etc etc? Also will need the shifter to be forward.  Would appreciate all the info you can come up with on this, and clutch setups etc folks!  Thanks ahead of time!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

jaybee

Jim, that's a lot of good information.  One thing that always has me confused about these transmissions is, how much power can they take?  I see claims all over the map regarding which version can take this much hp.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Topsterguy

Quote from: "jaybee"Jim, that's a lot of good information.  One thing that always has me confused about these transmissions is, how much power can they take?  I see claims all over the map regarding which version can take this much hp.

Got to agree Jim, thats' great info. I've been told that if you don't go serious drag racing they'll hold up fine. I've got a "warmed over" 350 in the roadster and treat it pretty good! :)
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Rex Schimmer

I have one of the Borg Warner T-5s in my roadster, still not on the ground yet!!!!, but they are available from both Chevy and Ford, the difference is the input spline. I have a Ford unit and it is from a late 80s Turbo Coupe, the one with the turboed 2.3 engine, and from what everyone tells me this is the "good one" as it has a pretty low first gear. I have also got a Hurst quick shift shifter for it which seems to work pretty good, certainly shortened the shift length, but again I have not had my car on the road so don't have "real" experience with it yet. I under stand that the max hp limit is in the 350 to 400 area on the T-5.

Rex