32 Ford roadster cowl/hood/radiator fitment

Started by WZ JUNK, June 30, 2006, 08:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I do not have hood sides or any measurements that I can refer to that will help me place the grille shell at the right place and angle.  My hood is extra long and it will need to be trimmed after I locate the grille shell.  I placed the grill and radiator where I thought it looked right but I am still not happy.  If someone has the measurements of the original side curtains, top and bottom horizontally, it would sure help.

It is hard to work with Bonneville on your mind.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

C9

Here are the measurements from my 32's Rootlieb hood side panels.
It should compare well to the stock hoods.

Length along top = 33 1/8"

Length along bottom, measured corner to corner = 33 1/2"  (Corner to corner because the hood panel bottom edge is not straight, but curves down a bit.

Height at back next to cowl = 22 3/8"

Height at front next to grille shell = 20 3/8"

Hood top length down center line = 32"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You may want to set up your grille shell height etc. then get the side panels in before you trim the hood top to length . . . it may not require trimming.

If you're making your own side panels, you may want to take a look at a tech article I did.
Go here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's a pic of a little height adjustable as well as length adjustable bracket I made for fitting the grille shell to hood top and side panels along with setting the grill shell at the proper height aesthetically speaking.
The length is adjustable due to the 32 frame's slotted radiator bolt hole.

You'll need a radiator 2" shorter in the vertical than the stock height 32 for a 31 body on 32 rails.

A radiator 1" shorter works very well for 32 bodies on 32 rails.
A stock height radiator works well for highboys, but you'll have to set it as low as possible for a good hood line.
Main thing is, don't have the hood line running uphill as compared to the horizontal cowl line when viewed from the side.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

WZ JUNK

Thanks, that is just what I needed.  The way we had it set up, the lines did not look right.  It looks much better now.  I may still tweak it a little more.  I will try to take a picture and post it.  Not much more shop work today though as my daughter is getting married tomorrow.  I will probably take the afternoon off.

John

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/hooley/hooley-2005.html
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH