Flathead air condition belt

Started by WZ JUNK, June 17, 2006, 08:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

A friend of mine is in bad physical condition.  He is on oxygen a lot and he has a variety of physical problems.  He recently bought a really nice 36 Ford sedan that has air conditioning installed but the belt is not hooked up to the compressor.   He really needs the air working so that he can comfortablely drive it this summer.  I think I can get a belt to work if I had a double pulley for the alternator that has one pulley groove that would take the flathead wide V belt and another pulley that would take the later model narrow V belt.  The car has a dual fan in front of the radiator and a single on the engine side.  I plan to remove the puller on the engine side to give me some more room.  I want to drive the alternator from the belt that goes around the crankshaft pulley and the two water pump pulleys.  Then I want to drive the air conditioner compressor off of the narrow alternator pulley.   What other method will work?  This is the first flathead I have worked on in years.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

You happen to know what year the engine is? A 47-48 engine used a seperate fan hub with two grooves, and ran the generator off the fan. there are wide belt pulleys available for the Sanden compressor. you may have to make your own alternator pulley if it comes to that.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "enjenjo"You happen to know what year the engine is? A 47-48 engine used a seperate fan hub with two grooves, and ran the generator off the fan. there are wide belt pulleys available for the Sanden compressor. you may have to make your own alternator pulley if it comes to that.

I guess I will have to ID the engine.  He said it was the later model high HP engine but I do not know what he means by that.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Carnut

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"
Quote from: "enjenjo"You happen to know what year the engine is? A 47-48 engine used a seperate fan hub with two grooves, and ran the generator off the fan. there are wide belt pulleys available for the Sanden compressor. you may have to make your own alternator pulley if it comes to that.

I guess I will have to ID the engine.  He said it was the later model high HP engine but I do not know what he means by that.

John

That engine you show looks like a 46 to 48.

48 back to 36 or so had water outlets on center of heads.

49 and back had wide belts.

32 to 35 and 37 to 40 V8 60 had outlets on front of engine

49 and later had water outlets on front of head.

50 and later had narrow modern style belts.

No A/C but here's some belts on a flathead V8 for ideas: