Brake pedal assembly, pushrod,brake switch,retainer clip

Started by rooster, June 12, 2006, 08:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

Lost all my brakes Friday in the pickup (95 GMC) brake switch and pushrod slid off pedal shaft =NO BRAKES!

Im trying to put this back together, there is a special clip that holds everything in place, I can get it on but cant get it on all the way, is there a special tool for this. Tips and tricks, advise wanted!

The story will come later!
Denny

rooster

This is the closest picture I could find of where I am working to get the brake pedal secured, the clip shown is different than the one I have. I may be trying to put it on backwards . I have nothing to go by! It just all came apart and I had no brakes while exiting the hiway at 65 mph.

What I first noticed was of course was the brake pedal went to the floor, then I thought the car was speeding up, with no pedal to cancel cruse control I turn the key off, that locked the steering wheel, unlocked the steering wheel, then through it park, witch didnt work, finally slamed the e-brake. All that probly took about 15 seconds, seemed alot longer. It took some distance but the e-brake did stop me, I was lucky no one was in front of me when the pedal parts seperated. I should have droped it in low and hit the e-brake. If I couldent have stoped I was going to takeout the guard rail, the exit ramp I was on was downhill. I nursed the truck to where Iwas working about a mile away using the e-brake, I went to work early that day and the traffic wasnt bad yet.

enjenjo

I would try fitting a socket over it, against the flange, and use that to install it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rooster

Quote from: "enjenjo"I would try fitting a socket over it, against the flange, and use that to install it.

OK , heres what going on! In 1995 on GMC K1500's there were the possabilty of 2 different clips to use. I got the square clip today and it makes sence that its the right one. The square clips locks into the brake light switch housing.

The guys at the parts counter were feeding me the wrong part! I showed them the picture and he looked it up in his computer, there was 1 dealer here in St. Louis that had it. I took the brake light switch with me and showed it to them.

The brake light switch on my truck is not ajustable, you just slide the switch around the pedal shaft , then the clip,. Didnt get a chance to work on it tonight. The square clip part #15989563.