I am a moron.

Started by 48builder, June 08, 2006, 12:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

I spent hours making a nice 1/8" plywood template for my stainless firewall. Got everything marked exactly where I wanted it cut. I took it to my favorite sheet metal shop and picked out a nice piece of 16 ga polished stainless. As I was sitting at work today waiting to go get it, I thought to myself "I don't think I told him which side was the good side".

Sure enough, it looks great. On the wrong side. Oh well. Now I have a lot of polishing to do. On the bright side, it only cost me $100. That's not the end of the world.  :oops:
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

enjenjo

QuoteSure enough, it looks great. On the wrong side.

What is really bad is when you make a second one the same way. :cry:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Leon

At least it will look good from the inside :lol:

purplepickup

Walt, you can always flip it and sell it to an Aussie that has a '48.  It would probably bolt right on a car that drives on the wrong side of the road....with the shiney side out. :D

I was going to post on your last firewall thread and forgot to.  I would have suggested 16 ga too.  That's what I used for mine and it doesn't distort at all from being bolted on.  I used 10-24 button head stainless screws.  I polished them and they look good.

I did have to make two firewalls however.  The first one I made exactly the same mistake you did and tried to polish the back but couldn't get it to look good.  I even took it to a professional to let him have a go at it but it still didn't look right.  I ended up remaking it out of 2B finish sheet and had it electropolished which is a process we use at work so I had a local source.  It came out uniformly reflective but not super shiney like a mirror.  There's a pic here of my battery box that I made using the same process.

I hope you have better luck polishing than I did.
George

sirstude

Walt,

Don't let George fool you, the stainless on his truck is "VERY MUCH" shiny.  I don't know how you would get it any shinier.  Is that a real word?

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

purplepickup

Quote from: "sirstude"Walt,

Don't let George fool you, the stainless on his truck is "VERY MUCH" shiny.  I don't know how you would get it any shinier.  Is that a real word?

Doug
It's shiney but has more of a satiny(is that a word?) finish than the pre-polished stainless.  I think it's a little more forgiving, scratch-wise, (a word?) when you wipe dried bugs and dirt off.
George

58 Yeoman

At first, I thought my boss posted this on here.  One time he told me, that if I ever needed to find him, look in the phone book under "Moore, Ron". :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

SKR8PN

Quote from: "enjenjo"

I HATE it when that happens................ :lol:  :lol:
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Kctom

Quote from: "SKR8PN"

I like morons, they can have several wifes.  :roll:

tomslik

Quote from: "Kctom1"
Quote from: "SKR8PN"

I like morons, they can have several wifes.  :roll:

who in the heck wants ANOTHER one!?!?!?!?
i ain't got this one trained yet...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

parklane

Never done it with stainless/aluminum, but have been very successful several times with drywall/wallboard. :(D)  :(D)

John :)
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

donsrods

I like morons, they can have several wifes. Rolling Eyes

That's pretty good. :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Don