Old picture

Started by enjenjo, June 03, 2006, 11:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I ran across this picture today while looking at some old Photos It's a sand racer we owned about 1980. It had a 468 Big block chevy at the time, with a 350 turbo and a trans brake. A pair of 660 holleys on a tunnel ram manifold, and an Erson cam. the rear was a 9", stock width, with a 5.17 gear. The frame had 2 1/2" square tubing main rails, with a 1 1/2" mild steel cage. The body was a Total performance T body, with a MAS turtle deck. Wheel base was 120". The rear tires were 16.50x16 funny car slicks, ground down, with Scat Trac paddles vulcanised onto them, on home made steel wheels. Front tires were Moroso drag tires, on genuine Halibrand Mags. In a fit of stupidity, I later sold the Hals for $40 each. The car would run 3.90's on pump gas, 3.60's with NO2, in 300 ft on sand. 9.70's with slicks in the quarter.

I later traded the car for a nice 69 Judge, the guy who had it after me raced it one more year, and the following spring, while testing a new glide with a brake in his back yard, hit an Oak tree at over 100 mph, totaling the car, and breaking his neck. He recovered, the car didn't.

The engine was repaired, and ended up in a 81 Malibu ProStreet car, where it still is. The trans went into a 150 ci. VW powered rail, and  ran 7's in the quarter. Tires ended up on a mud bogger called Muscles, that was on TV a lot in the late 80's. the right side of the body is hanging on his shop wall, the rest was crushed.

By the way, that's my wife driving in that picture, she was about .05 second faster than I was.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

Wow, that was a versitile machine Frank, too bad you didn't think of the snowmobile tracks and skis!   :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Carps

That looks like an old fashined version of the crazy gizmo that Dillard's brother is thrashing around the dunes in California.  Totally crazy and very un-green.   :lol:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

SKR8PN

That is a neat looking piece!!!
I don't know why,but I just can not imagine your sweet little wife,driving a thing like that :shock:  :lol:
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

enjenjo

Quote from: "Carps"That looks like an old fashined version of the crazy gizmo that Dillard's brother is thrashing around the dunes in California.  Totally crazy and very un-green.   :lol:

Actually it is a version of the same machine. The class I ran in the sand was A/water pumper dune buggy. Most of the other cars in that class were based on 3/4 ton truck chassis. This car ready to race weighed about 1700 lbs. So I had a big advantage there.

The first time I raced it, I lowered the class record by over a second, that upset a lot of people.

enjenjo

Quote from: "SKR8PN"That is a neat looking piece!!!
I don't know why,but I just can not imagine your sweet little wife,driving a thing like that :shock:  :lol:

My "sweet little wife" is a hillbilly by breeding and temperment.

True story, the first time she raced it, the first pass was an 8.0. the second pass was a 6.5, and that was all the test runs we had time for. She was racing in the powder puff class which was a bracket race, and I set her dial in at a 5.5

The first round, she ran a 5.0, but the other car red lighted, so she advanced. At the time, the best I had run was a 4.60, so I made that her dial in for the next round, she ran a 4.50, and broke out again, losing. She told me the woman she was racing was not going to beat her on the track.

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"By the way, that's my wife driving in that picture, she was about .05 second faster than I was.

Must be that old power to WEIGHT ratio thing huh?   :roll: