Time to redo the 54 wagon

Started by Leon, June 02, 2006, 11:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

After selling the Torino, we decided to put a little of that money into the 54 Chevy wagon.  We've owned that car for 16 years and are afraid to go any long distances (over 300 miles) with it.  We saved the chassis from the parts car that we had when we put the 54 together the first time, so I had it sandblasted and we've started to build the new chassis.  Today I put it down on wheels, and I'm pretty happy with the way things are going so far.  The plan is to have the whole chassis done by the first of October when I can pull the body off the old running gear and put it on the new chassis.  Then the fun begins fitting all the little things, wiring, brakes, etc.

GPster

I know you are smart enough to have checked this out but it might be a good point to throw out there for someone else thinking that a frame change is a good way to get started. Sometime the year and model of a car is not enough for this change. Convertables and sometimes station wagons might have a heavier frames than sedans and sometimes there can be a differance between hard tops and 2 or 4 doors. I'm not any smarter I've just had more occasions to make mistakes. GPster

enjenjo

Did you build the K member or is it a kit?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Leon

Quote from: "enjenjo"Did you build the K member or is it a kit?
The K member is a kit I got from RB's.  I won a $100 gift certificate from them at the NSRA Bakersfield show and that paid for a major portion of it.  Sure clears a lot of junk out of the way.  

As far as the frame, the parts car was also a wagon, but there's no difference between it and the sedan for 49 - 54.  The wagon does have an extra C channel to support the rear floor behind the rear axle, but it's welded to the body and will get transfered over when I move the body.

With any luck I will set an old engine block and a tranny in place tomorrow and start building engine mounts.  I have all the brackets on order, have the manifold, dist, water pump, etc.  so I can make accurate measurements so everything will fit when I do final assembly. (crosses fingers at this point :lol: )

Took the 54 down to Lancaster (75 miles) and wished I had better sway bars because of the winds hitting the teardrop trailer.  The new chassis will have front and rear bars.