GM horn(s)-wiring help please????

Started by slocrow, May 27, 2006, 02:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slocrow

I retrieved some horns at the local wrecking yard and would like to bench test them but am not sure how. What I've tried hasn't worked.
I've got the factory harness and plugs. Currently there are 6 wires in the dual horn harness. One thick black, 3 light gage ( two green and one red) and two more med gage with stared ring clips on their ends. I think they're the grounds. The red looks like it's for a uninstalled accessory.
What do I need to do to connect to my bench battery and hear um beep? thanks, Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Rayvyn

Quote from: "slocrow"I retrieved some horns at the local wrecking yard and would like to bench test them but am not sure how. What I've tried hasn't worked.
I've got the factory harness and plugs. Currently there are 6 wires in the dual horn harness. One thick black, 3 light gage ( two green and one red) and two more med gage with stared ring clips on their ends. I think they're the grounds. The red looks like it's for a uninstalled accessory.
What do I need to do to connect to my bench battery and hear um beep? thanks, Frank

The smaller wires might be for a car alarm or similar device. The few horns I've messed with don't go off until the ground circuit is completed. You could try reversing the polarity=put the power to the ground and ground to the hot. At most you'll get the horn a little hot but it won't fry the battery. Just touch the leads a split second to see if it works. :!:
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

enjenjo

how many terminals on each horn?

If there is only one terminal, that is battery, and the horn grounds through the body. If two terminals, one is power, the other is ground. If it doesn't work on the first try, reverse the wires. that should be about it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

slocrow

Thanks guys; I removed the plastic protector and tape and found the following;
1)The big fat black wire must have just been wrapped in the plastic. It has no apparent horn related purpose.
2)The red is in fact for some other accessory. Maybe security. Not needed!
3)The second black is in fact two, crimped together at the ring/stared grounding connector.
4)That leaves the two green wires for power.
I gave it a shot this morning and got a short bleep so all appears well.
I was convinced that the fat black wire was the power lead and that messed up my thinking. I had trouble with GM horns before so I entered this project already suspicious. Thanks for the direction...............Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Dave

Quote from: "slocrow"Thanks guys; I removed the plastic protector and tape and found the following;
1)The big fat black wire must have just been wrapped in the plastic. It has no apparent horn related purpose.
2)The red is in fact for some other accessory. Maybe security. Not needed!
3)The second black is in fact two, crimped together at the ring/stared grounding connector.
4)That leaves the two green wires for power.
I gave it a shot this morning and got a short bleep so all appears well.
I was convinced that the fat black wire was the power lead and that messed up my thinking. I had trouble with GM horns before so I entered this project already suspicious. Thanks for the direction...............Frank

WHAT I CAT HEAR YOU CAUSE OF THESE STUPID NEW HORNS

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP
DAVE