4.3 Chevy Vortec engine SWAP/ Balance shaft hits TBI intake!

Started by rooster, April 01, 2004, 10:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

Ive just about finished putting my sons 4.3 together tonight, its a 93 vortec engine and im using a intake of a 91 TB. The balance shaft hits the bottem of the intake. I remember ZIP telling me that might happen! How much will I have to remove from the bottem of the intake, and whats the best way to do it? From the best I can tell it hits at the rear of engine at the plug in the bottem of intake, I removed the plug and it still hits. Anyone done this!
Denny
rooster

Bib_Overalls

Quote from: "rooster"Ive just about finished putting my sons 4.3 together tonight, its a 93 vortec engine and im using a intake of a 91 TB. The balance shaft hits the bottem of the intake. I remember ZIP telling me that might happen! How much will I have to remove from the bottem of the intake, and whats the best way to do it? From the best I can tell it hits at the rear of engine at the plug in the bottem of intake, I removed the plug and it still hits. Anyone done this!
Denny
rooster

I built a 4.3 for a friend a couple of years ago.  We went throught three engines before we found one that coulb be rebuilt.  One was a later ballance shaft motor.  We mocked up and found the same problem with the 85 cast iron spread bore intake and the TBI manifold.  We thought about machining the manifold and welding in patches but using an early block seemed to be more practical.  As I recall the late heads have the same vertical intake bolts as the Vortec V8 heads and that we mocked up with earlier heads to get a bolt pattern compatable with the intake.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks