Buicks with hood that tilts forward, anybody have one?

Started by 48builder, May 20, 2006, 05:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

About 10 years ago I brought home the hinge setup from a Buick. It had the hood that tilted forward. Of course at the time I didn't take a picture or make notes, mostly because I didn't think it was going to be 10 years before I looked at it again.

I want to make the hood on my '48 Chevy open forward like that, and may use this setup if I can. Does anybody have one of these cars and can take a couple pics for me or describe how it works. I tried figuring it out, and the only thing that seems to make sense to me has the psrings at full tension when the hood is closed. That doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

rooster

I have that type of hood on a 87 park ave.

first release the hood, second, lift the hood at the front about 12", third, tilt forward!

I still have the car but not at the house, Ill see if I can get some pictures for you.

48builder

Quote from: "rooster"I have that type of hood on a 87 park ave.

first release the hood, second, lift the hood at the front about 12", third, tilt forward!

I still have the car but not at the house, Ill see if I can get some pictures for you.

That would be great! I'd like to make this work with an elevtric actuator, but not sure if it will. I might just fabricate some catilevered hinges, but I figure if I can use something I already have, so much the better.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

enjenjo

I looked at one today. the springs are under tension in both the open and closed position. The springs were on the bottom side with the hood closed.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

48builder

Quote from: "enjenjo"I looked at one today. the springs are under tension in both the open and closed position. The springs were on the bottom side with the hood closed.

Thanks, Frank. I'll take a look tonight. I may end up fabricating an opening system using spherical rod ends and tubing. If I am going to use my electric actuator to open it they may work better.
'39 Chevy driver

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "48builder"If I am going to use my electric actuator to open it they may work better.

Hi, Walt!

Being the eternal pessimist that I am, I have to ask if there will be a way to open the hood if the actuator fails?

Consider worst-case scenarios, such as an underhood fire that can't be extinguished because the hood won't open!  

K.I.S.S. !!!!!!!!    :lol:

How did you do in Nebraska?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

48builder

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"
Quote from: "48builder"If I am going to use my electric actuator to open it they may work better.

Hi, Walt!

Being the eternal pessimist that I am, I have to ask if there will be a way to open the hood if the actuator fails?

Consider worst-case scenarios, such as an underhood fire that can't be extinguished because the hood won't open!  

K.I.S.S. !!!!!!!!    :lol:

How did you do in Nebraska?

Bruce! You are alive. I looked at your email yesterday, and will reply. Yes, I am working on a way to release the actuator and latch from in the car so I can open the hood. I'm not a fan of "keyless" things. I have keyed door latches and a key to open the trunk.

I did good in Nebraska. I ran 2:57 with a pulled hamstring. I was the 30th National Guard finisher, 5th out of 97 in my age group. I made the Elite Guard marathon team, so now they are sending me to Seatlle in July, San Diego in August, and Chicago in October. I love my Uncle Sam.

Hope to see you soon! Say Hi to Luce for us.
'39 Chevy driver