Early F-series trucks (1951 F3)

Started by flamefink, May 18, 2006, 12:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flamefink

I'm now the new owner of a 52 F3 pickup and as usual I'm looking for some info. It's a stake bed truck with 8 lug front and someone has put what looks to be a dana rear end under it.

Right now I'm not to knowledgable on these F series trucks and I'm looking for any info or reference sites/books I can find. A couple of the main things I'm wanting to look into is the wheel base of a standard F1 and the differences in the bed from year to year including earlier beds ( I have possible access to a 47 bed and am not sure of the interchange possibility).

Heres a quick pic

I could go on an on with question after question about this truck as well as other stuff but I feel I've already asked to much of you guys :oops: .Any info, help or leads on cheap parts are greatly appreciated.

Brett
Do you need a tetanus shot to ride in that thing?

GPster

That's a nice color green around the windshield, but then I checked what state your from, it's probably mold, GPster

Ed ke6bnl

http://bonusbuilt.com/forum/index.php

http://www.bonusbuilt.com/

I have been with this one for many years now. I have a 48 F3 parts no motor or trans or bed, 49 F1 stock v8 and a 50 F1 street rod.

1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

mopar2dr

I am working on a 51 ford f-1. The wheel base is 114 inches. I have been told the front wheel openings on the f-2 and f-3 are a little larger to allow the bigger tires. All the early f-series cabs are the same,sort of. The 48-50 have a smaller back window and the dash is a little bit different. Also note that the dash is part of the cab,and needs to be painted before installing the windsheild. Fairlane of St.John's Mi. makes a 48 fiberglass tilt front for these trucks. I am using an 88 Dakota frame 124 inch wb and will remove 10 inches to make it right with the cab and box. A friend just grafted a Dakota front k member to his 56 ford pu frame and it looks like it was factory built. Been doing some work on the old mopar,58 years took its toll on the floor board and had to be fixed. Although the Fred Flintstone drive would of saved some gas money :D
I got lost in thought, it was unfamiliar territory!

enjenjo

If it has the original rear end, it will split in the middle like an early Ford car rear. The later F 250 used a Dana 60.

On the bed, the early F1 used the same bed as a 41 to 47, drilled for the later fenders. the later ones used a similar bed, but it was about 4" wider, and the fenders were narrower.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

flamefink

Quote from: "Joe Gaddy"www.ford-trucks.com   48-60 forum

The forums are giving me almost all of the answers I need. Thanks everyone for all of the useful info. I'll still be bending your ear and picking your brains in the near future for this project lol

Quote from: "GPster"That's a nice color green around the windshield, but then I checked what state your from, it's probably mold, GPster
Nope, not mold... lol. The upper half of this thing was actually painted that color. The lower half was painted several times to hide old lettering from previous owners... I think it was originally a black lower half.

I worked on a VW that was from down your way... it was cought in the flood about a year or two back... what a mess, and I still question what that brown stuff was covering every last inch of the car :lol:

Quote from: "Ed ke6bnl"
I have been with this one for many years now. I have a 48 F3 parts no motor or trans or bed, 49 F1 stock v8 and a 50 F1 street rod.

Thanks for the link to the forums. I know I'm a long ways away, but are you looking to sell any parts from the F3?

Quote from: "mopar2dr"I am working on a 51 ford f-1. The wheel base is 114 inches. I have been told the front wheel openings on the f-2 and f-3 are a little larger to allow the bigger tires. All the early f-series cabs are the same,sort of. The 48-50 have a smaller back window and the dash is a little bit different. Also note that the dash is part of the cab,and needs to be painted before installing the windsheild.

My truck has a 122inch wheel base. This brings up another question about the frame rails. My rails appear to have the same "kick up" in the rear over the axle and stamped form as the F1 rails. I was wondering if they are the same as the F1 only longer? If so, would I be wise to try to shorten them if I decide to go to the regular bed?

Heres a pic of the "kick up"

Quote from: "enjenjo"If it has the original rear end, it will split in the middle like an early Ford car rear. The later F 250 used a Dana 60.

Here is a quick pic of the rear end in my truck. It has the tell tale signs of being swapped out - there are what looks to be marks from the remnants of the original spring pads still on the axle. This axle also looks identical to the axle we pulled out of the 78 Suburban we parted out earlier this year.

***Note the sinlge "helper" spring welded in on the passenger side.

Quote from: "enjenjo"On the bed, the early F1 used the same bed as a 41 to 47, drilled for the later fenders. the later ones used a similar bed, but it was about 4" wider, and the fenders were narrower.

Thanks Frank for the info about the beds. I'll have to get a hold of that 47 bed just in case I ever decide to make the change over. I'll also be on the look out for a set of rear fenders and running boards as well. My running boards are pretty well trashed. The running boards also look to be longer than the F1 because even with the longer wheel base, they stop close to the tire.

flamefink

One more thing I forgot - Has anyone worked with a Chassis Engineering Mustang 2 IFS crossmember? I was considering their bolt in crossmember for this truck because it is already widened to fit with currected geometry and it's adjustable ride height. I'm in the procees of tracking down a donor stock front end for all of the rest of the parts.

For those who might have not seen it, this is it:
http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/page36.html

GPster

Quote from: "flamefink"I worked on a VW that was from down your way... it was cought in the flood about a year or two back... what a mess, and I still question what that brown stuff was covering every last inch of the car :lol:
Do you need more? My garage had 30" of river in it and the clean up process had me buy a pressure washer. I promised myself that as so as I could get the floor of the garage empty I would pressure wash the mud out the door. I left the two bottom shelves of all my shelving units empty in anticipation of it but it hasn't happened yet . The dirt on the floor makes the "one man" brake bleeding less of a worry. GPster

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "flamefink"
Quote from: "Joe Gaddy"www.ford-trucks.com   48-60 forum

The forums are giving me almost all of the answers I need. Thanks everyone for all of the useful info. I'll still be bending your ear and picking your brains in the near future for this project lol

Quote from: "GPster"That's a nice color green around the windshield, but then I checked what state your from, it's probably mold, GPster
Nope, not mold... lol. The upper half of this thing was actually painted that color. The lower half was painted several times to hide old lettering from previous owners... I think it was originally a black lower half.

I worked on a VW that was from down your way... it was cought in the flood about a year or two back... what a mess, and I still question what that brown stuff was covering every last inch of the car :lol:

Quote from: "Ed ke6bnl"

Thanks for the link to the forums. I know I'm a long ways away, but are you looking to sell any parts from the F3?

Quote from: "mopar2dr"I am working on a 51 ford f-1. The wheel base is 114 inches. I have been told the front wheel openings on the f-2 and f-3 are a little larger to allow the bigger tires. All the early f-series cabs are the same,sort of. The 48-50 have a smaller back window and the dash is a little bit different. Also note that the dash is part of the cab,and needs to be painted before installing the windsheild.

My truck has a 122inch wheel base. This brings up another question about the frame rails. My rails appear to have the same "kick up" in the rear over the axle and stamped form as the F1 rails. I was wondering if they are the same as the F1 only longer? If so, would I be wise to try to shorten them if I decide to go to the regular bed?

Heres a pic of the "kick up"

Quote from: "enjenjo"If it has the original rear end, it will split in the middle like an early Ford car rear. The later F 250 used a Dana 60.

Here is a quick pic of the rear end in my truck. It has the tell tale signs of being swapped out - there are what looks to be marks from the remnants of the original spring pads still on the axle. This axle also looks identical to the axle we pulled out of the 78 Suburban we parted out earlier this year.

***Note the sinlge "helper" spring welded in on the passenger side.

Quote from: "enjenjo"On the bed, the early F1 used the same bed as a 41 to 47, drilled for the later fenders. the later ones used a similar bed, but it was about 4" wider, and the fenders were narrower.

Thanks Frank for the info about the beds. I'll have to get a hold of that 47 bed just in case I ever decide to make the change over. I'll also be on the look out for a set of rear fenders and running boards as well. My running boards are pretty well trashed. The running boards also look to be longer than the F1 because even with the longer wheel base, they stop close to the tire.

I believe the frame for the F3 is beefer material, the rear end in mine is a banjo type I think they call it.  

I will consider selling parts from the truck.

the running boards are shorter and the bed is differant size then the F1. The cabs are identical my F3 is a 48 with the small window.  talk with you later Ed ke6bl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

enjenjo

F2 reucks had an 8 foot bed, instead of a 6 1/2 foot. You can shortent it no problem. Or, you can use the rear frame section off a later truck, it loweres it a bit, and gives a better ride. You can do the rear from a 73 to 87 GM truck, and with the spring mounted under the axle get it really low.

The rearend you have is a GM corporate rear, commonly called a 13 bolt.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.