Align the 62 Falcon front suspension

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, May 16, 2006, 11:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I've got to align the front end.

Toe in / out is out just a tad per my measurement.

I can not really get at the spindle to put my protractor on it for an angle measurement.

A shop I know that could align the Falcon  is not open on saturdays , so I guess I need to get the alignment close by myself.

I  do not have a magnetic spindle tool like many dirt racers use.

:?:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

In a pinch, you can do it with a 2x4 block cut to set on the rim, and a angle finder if some type. It may not be perfect, because of rim runout, but you can get it close
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Jokester

I've gotten pretty close using a carpenter's level and a tape measure.  I taped blocks of wood to the level to contact the rim and to space tle level out from the bulge of the tire.  I set it as close to vertical as I could.

Set the toe in about 1/8 to 1/16 inch.  Close enough to get to the alignment shop.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

enjenjo

How to align a front end with carpenter's tools. Cut a 2x4, or 2x6 so it wukk just fit on the rim between the rolled out lips. Now, one degree over 15" is roughly 1/8", so tape a 1/8" shim to the outside of the 2x4 at the top for one degree camber. Two degress is roughly 1/4"

Mark the rim at the top, and  hold the 2x4 against the rim, and the level against the 2x4 and the shim. When the level reads level vertically, you have one degree of camber. then rotate the rim 180 degrees, and check again, so a bent rim doesn't fool you. Add the same amount of shims front and rear to not change the caster.

To check caster, on the left side, turn the wheel all the way to the left. Put the 2x4 agaunst the wheel vertically, and put the level against the 2x4. Move the bottom of the level out until it reads level vertically, and measure between the 2x4, and the level, and convert that to degrees. Example, if the measurement is 3/8", the caster is roughly 3 degrees. Again, rotate the tire 180 degrees to check for a bent rim.

To change caster without messing up camber, add the same amount of shim to the front, as you remove from the rear, or vise versa.

To set toe in, paint a stripe on the center of each tire, and scribe a mark in it all the way around while spinnin the tire. Then after setting it back down on the ground, compare the measurement in front to the one in the rear, and adjust as needed.

This will get you in the ball park as far as alignment. If you want to get more picky, you can do as good a job as any machine. the formula for figuring how big a degree is for this purpose;  L x 3.14/360= one degree. L is the length of the 2x4. Example 16" 2x4, it would come out 16 x3.14=50.24 / by 360=.140 for one degree..

It works for me.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

I should have been a bit more specific.  

Caster is the problem area. I was unsure how to go about setting / checking that.

I have checked the camber and the toe in/out.  I used a carpenters square on the rim edge.  Tape measure for the toe part of it

Caster was the issue.

thanks,  I will go at it to night.

I probably need a bit of caster to help keep this Falcon straight as it accelerates through the gears.
Tony

river1

Quote from: "enjenjo"This will get you in the ball park as far as alignment. If you want to get more picky, you can do as good a job as any machine. the formula for figuring how big a degree is for this purpose;  L x 3.14/360= one degree. L is the length of the 2x4. Example 16" 2x4, it would come out 16 x3.14=50.24 / by 360=.140 for one degree..

It works for me.

of course if you have one of them fancy dancy digital levels it'll have the degrees built in.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"I should have been a bit more specific.  

Caster is the problem area. I was unsure how to go about setting / checking that.

I have checked the camber and the toe in/out.  I used a carpenters square on the rim edge.  Tape measure for the toe part of it

Caster was the issue.

thanks,  I will go at it to night.

I probably need a bit of caster to help keep this Falcon straight as it accelerates through the gears.

i usta set 'em up when they were (ride height) about 1" higher than static.
and as much (+)caster as i thought i could get away with...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Bob Paulin

Tony:

If ever you are out on one of those r-e-a-l  l-o-o-o-n-g Sunday drives which takes you up into Maine, you are always welcome to stop by my place and I would be happy to run your car up onto my FEA rack......

I could probably get you headed back towards Arizona in an hour or two.....

......maybe a weekend trip???

LOL!!!

B.P.
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Bob Paulin"Tony:

If ever you are out on one of those r-e-a-l  l-o-o-o-n-g Sunday drives which takes you up into Maine, you are always welcome to stop by my place and I would be happy to run your car up onto my FEA rack......

LOL!!!

B.P.

I could have the car air freighted out there if I was enjenjo or a tomslik.

:arrow:  :lol:
Tony

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "Bob Paulin"Tony:

LOL!!!

B.P.

I could have the car air freighted out there if I was enjenjo or a tomslik.

:arrow:  :lol:

if you were me, you'd take it to the shop and align it ;) :shock:

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"

ok

got the angles on the caster checked/ set.  Started out at barely 1 degree on the protractor thingy..... I've got about 2.5 degrees on each side now.

I need to set the toe and take a spin in the car.  I'll bring the speed up slowly for safety  & keep it under 150 mph

8)
Tony

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "tomslik"

ok

got the angles on the caster checked/ set.  Started out at barely 1 degree on the protractor thingy..... I've got about 2.5 degrees on each side now.

I need to set the toe and take a spin in the car.  I'll bring the speed up slowly for safety  & keep it under 150 mph

how ya gonna do it?
drop it out of an airplane? :wink:

8)