old trucks with new drivetrains

Started by Stevie G, May 14, 2006, 04:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevie G

Any good sites for gages to use when putting a 2004 drivetrain in an older truck?  It's actually going to be a frame swap.
Doesn't one company alter old gages to run the newer electronics?
I just want to have everything as compatible as possible.
Do you like monsters?  Get a Swamp Thing T-Shirt

Stevie G

Quote from: "Stevie G"Any good sites for gages to use when putting a 2004 drivetrain in an older truck?  It's actually going to be a frame swap.

Clarification.
Can I run the electronic to mechanical speedo box and be okay as long as I have the speed/distance input for the computer?

Q2: what parts should I keep from the donor to make the swap easier.

tomslik

Quote from: "Stevie G"Any good sites for gages to use when putting a 2004 drivetrain in an older truck?  It's actually going to be a frame swap.

united speedometer is VERY good(be prepared to wait and shell out $$$ though)
i see Classic Instruments is doing that now too.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Stevie G

Both good sources.  Thanks!
Googled for Dolphin gages but came up empty.

Jokester

To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

BFS57

Hello;
I've seen people do the most incredible things with a complete set of gauges out of a modern car or truck! To me, it sort of lets people know that what once was, ain't no more!
My $ .02
Bruce

Kobies Kool 40

I called the Speedometer Shop in Riverside, CA about doing the upgrade on my gauges (40 Mercury).  $1500  :shock:  with a two to three month turn around.  Don't know if that is their standard price, but if you want to stay original it probably isn't a bad price.  A buddy of mine had the gauges redone on his motorcycle and it cost him almost that much.  A guy could cut the dash, put an insert in and have some nice gauges and maybe a grand left in your pocket but like I mentioned it all depends on if you want to stay original