need advice, mounting shocks

Started by manyolkars, April 29, 2006, 03:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manyolkars

I got new gas shocks with 5" of travel.  What are the guidelines for these?  I am making mounts and thinking of setting them to have 3" of compression and 2" drop.  What do you think?

donsrods

What is the application?  What kind of suspension?  Front or rear?

Need more info.

Don

manyolkars

Don, your request really baffles me. Wont the information I need apply to any gas shock set up?

donsrods

Not really. It would be one thing if you were replacing shocks on a stock automobile, but totally another on a custom application, i.e: is the vehicle lowered, is it airbagged, is this on the front end or rear end.

If you want a intelligent, fairly accurate answer, it is irresponsible for anyone to give you that answer on the vaque info you have provided.

If you aren't concerned with getting the best possible answer, here is one based on just a guess.........center it with 2 and 1/2 inches in both directions.

There, how's that???

Don

manyolkars

Enjenjo, I want you to have this follow-up.  I mounted the shocks the way you suggested then drove about 700 miles. I pulled the trailer loaded with a car and then empty on the way home. They work Great! I was concerned that they might bottom out, but they are just fine. It really makes a Big difference on how the truck handles!  Thanks!