Ball joint removal F 250 4X4

Started by phat46, May 08, 2006, 04:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

I'm helping a friend change ball joints on his  '90 F250 4X4 the problem

on these is the cambers adjusting sleeve that the upper ball joint passes through. It must be removed to get the upper ball joint out. The book calls for a Ford tool to remove it. We tried a gear puller but that won't work because the flats that the jaws clamp to aren't parellel to the top of the ball joint that you'd have topress against with the puller; and the ball joint would probably press down before the sleeve pulled up! Does anyone know what the proper ford tool looks like for this? I'm thinking it's a picklefork type tool. Any other suggestions from someone who has done this (or not) would be appeciated too. TIA

Arnold

Quote from: "phat46"I'm helping a friend change ball joints on his  '90 F250 4X4 the problem

on these is the cambers adjusting sleeve that the upper ball joint passes through. It must be removed to get the upper ball joint out. The book calls for a Ford tool to remove it. We tried a gear puller but that won't work because the flats that the jaws clamp to aren't parellel to the top of the ball joint that you'd have topress against with the puller; and the ball joint would probably press down before the sleeve pulled up! Does anyone know what the proper ford tool looks like for this? I'm thinking it's a picklefork type tool. Any other suggestions from someone who has done this (or not) would be appeciated too. TIA

Not sure if I can be of help here to ya....sorry..or if this will be of any help.I have not done that particular job..nor am I familar with it.

I'll pass this by fwiw.From about 73-79 the upper ball joints(yes they had them) in the domestic (solid) front 4X4 axles had what were referred to as "adjusting sleeves" .The stud part of the joint went through this.Lots of people didn't even know about these things..most just changed the joint and left them..not adjusting them.

There was a special socket that adjusted these..or removed them.The socket was basically a "pin type" socket..but the "pin's were tangs..wider than they were thick.These  mated with slots in  the top of this insert.

In theory..the socket went over this and away you went..adjusted it.Changed it.
  Ater a few years these adjusting sleeves..(here in the salt capital of the world..S.Ontario) which were hard and brittle..were pretty much there forever.If you tried..you chewed up the socket..or broke a piece of the insert.That was not fun.It was impossible to keep even downward square pressure on this as you reefed on it with a ratchet.I used to strip what I could..soak this thing in penetrating oil.I found a socket that would also take a wrench on the outside.I drilled a hole down through my socket so that I could engage the tangs of the socket with the slots in the sleeve.And put a big bolt,nut washers on it so it would sit square.This way the socket tangs and slots in the adjusting sleeve..couldn't come apart and stayed square.

OTC tools are very good for these type of tools like this.Take out a mortgage.Unitool..here in Canada also has a lot of these type of tools.Unitool are dirt cheap..I have several of their specialty tools and have never had any problems.I have quite a number of years ago bought Ford service tools like this.Ford subbed out their tool manufacture.They too were cheap.Very cheap..very rugged and strong too! The finish and overall quality of the Ford factory tools I bought many years ago..it would be a compliment if I called them shameful.However..cheap..durable.Maybe they have changed since then.

phat46

we got 'em out....cut the upper ball joint with a cut off wheel, then the knuckle came off. The camber adjusting sleeve then could be removed from below with a BFH....putting the puzzle back together took over an hour...you have to get two ball koints nad the drive axle all to line up ay once and of course it all comes within a quarter inch od sliding together.....we actually had to use a sledge to get it back together. either we arre doing something terrible wrong or this is a really bad design...we're gonna do the other side this weekend... :cry: