Load rating help

Started by MrMopar64, May 04, 2006, 05:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMopar64

I'm building a set of car skates for my other project........
But I need some help! I can find load rating on square tubing (1.5x1.5x1/8 over 12 inches will hold 5100lbs) but not angle iron......
The only thing I can find is stress rating 1x1x1/8 has a stress rating of 12000psi over 36 inches which tells me nothing  :?
Is what I need to know is with piece of angle 1x1x1/8  12 inches long How much weight will it hold before bending
The reason I'd like to use that size is cuz I've got it  :wink:
It will be welded into the square tubing with the peak facing up if that makes a difference
They will be like the pic but have 6" wheels for easier rolling

Thanks in advance

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

1FATGMC

Personally I would go ahead and try it.  I think you will be fine, but steel is pretty cheap so if you went to something heavier I'll bet it wouldn't cost $15 total.

The weight isn't going to be in the center of those pieces anyway the tire width will move it closer to the side pieces.  At least I think it will.

I bought a bunch of casters to do the same thing a year ago, but they are still in a box :cry: .

c ya, Sum

tomslik

Quote from: "1FATGMC"Personally I would go ahead and try it.  I think you will be fine, but steel is pretty cheap so if you went to something heavier I'll bet it wouldn't cost $15 total.

The weight isn't going to be in the center of those pieces anyway the tire width will move it closer to the side pieces.  At least I think it will.

I bought a bunch of casters to do the same thing a year ago, but they are still in a box :cry: .

c ya, Sum

i quit screwing around and bought  a couple of sets  from HF and oiled the snot out of the casters
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

1FATGMC

Quote from: "tomslik"i quit screwing around and bought  a couple of sets  from HF and oiled the snot out of the casters

But then what would I do with all the casters I bought trying to save money :cry: .

c ya, Sum

river1

everything i have bought from HF that had wheels had the wheels go bad. the first sign of failure usually included ball bearings rolling across the floor. of course my being so tiny didn't have anything to do with that. now i buy made in the USA casters from LUNA a wheel/caster store here in phoenix.
like sumner i also have a box of casters waiting for me to do something with them.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "river1"like sumner i also have a box of casters waiting for me to do something with them.
later jim

Only one problem, mine are HF casters :cry: .

Doesn't sound good for me,

Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "river1"everything i have bought from HF that had wheels had the wheels go bad. the first sign of failure usually included ball bearings rolling across the floor.

later jim

been there

:wink:  :wink:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

MrMopar64

Quote from: "1FATGMC"

c ya, Sum

Yeah I bought a box lot of 54 6" casters they are rated a 500lbs ea. for 130 bucks so I'm going to build 3 sets  2 for me and one set the sell to recoup some of my money........  :wink:

Thanks for the info

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol: