non-Coker....... tall and skinny rear tires

Started by t boner, May 01, 2006, 02:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t boner

I went to the Jefferson swap meet in Wisconsin Friday, and didn't find much, but I did notice the rear tires on a newer Ford duellie (sp?) pick-up truck.  They were 225 85R 16 Bridgestones and they were both tall and narrow, and looked like they might work out for the rear tires on a traditional looking hot rod.  The sidewall to tread area was really squared off, and didn't look like the more rounded area on most radial tires.  I didn't have a tape measure, so I don't know how tall they were, but they looked like maybe 31" tall!  And maybe 6" wide.  They might be a little heavy duty, I don't know the load rating, so they might ride a bit stiff.
Has anyone out there used them on a hot rod?

Brootal

A few guys down here have started using light truck radials on their 'nostalgia-styled' hot rods. The other benefit is a simple tread pattern. Nothing worse than those high-tech, race car looking treads on an otherwise traditionally styled hot rod or custom!
Yes it is Grandad\'s Old Rambler!

//www.the-rumbler.com

Dirty31

I think the radials would kill the open fender car.  I take that back I know it will.  Just does not give it the rite look but it is your car so do as you please.

enjenjo

I have been looking at some of the truck radials too. I am all for a traditional look, but not enough to give up radial tires. I see Hurt tire is making a stagger block radial recap, I may get some of those.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Flipper

Most of those tall skinny truck tires are load range E.  Those are some heavy jokers.  That is what my 200 F250 has on it.