34 first problem

Started by Kctom, April 30, 2006, 11:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kctom

Well here we go! Have the Downs 34 cpe body sitting on a Pete & Jakes new frame. None of the body mount holes line up. Put the running boards on to line up the rear well and fender to them. Now someone has stolen all the mounting holes in the frame. The body does not have a hole drilled for the front cowl hole. according to most people I have talked to ,say this is the one that lines the body up. The A&B pillar have a plate welded to them with holes drilled in them, but they do not line up with frame holes. Any ideas how to fit body on frame?
TOM

58 Yeoman

QuoteNow someone has stolen all the mounting holes in the frame.

enjenjo stole the holes, and put 'em on that frame that he's working on, then welded them shut so you can't identify them. :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"
QuoteNow someone has stolen all the mounting holes in the frame.

enjenjo stole the holes, and put 'em on that frame that he's working on, then welded them shut so you can't identify them. :lol:

What I found amusing was spending a day last week locating new holes and drilling them.  :lol:  A brake master cylinder bracket and it goes out for paint.

I would cut the heads off some bolts that fit the holes in the frame, grind them to a point, screw them in place, set the body on the frame, and after lining everything up, tap the body over the holes to dimple it in the correct places. Do two first to line things up with, and the do the rest a couple at a time..
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rumrumm

I think Frank has the right idea. I would use an oak dowl and resin to fill in the body mounting holes and then drill new ones.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Dirty31

No problem here.  You can go to Wescott.com and get all the stock mounting locations and mark your frame and then use a ruler and transfer to body to determine where to drill.  I did this on my A-Roadster on Duece rails

Dave

Quote from: "Kctom1"Well here we go! Have the Downs 34 cpe body sitting on a Pete & Jakes new frame. None of the body mount holes line up. Put the running boards on to line up the rear well and fender to them. Now someone has stolen all the mounting holes in the frame. The body does not have a hole drilled for the front cowl hole. according to most people I have talked to ,say this is the one that lines the body up. The A&B pillar have a plate welded to them with holes drilled in them, but they do not line up with frame holes. Any ideas how to fit body on frame?
TOM

Hows it look on the frame? before i redrilled it id half asre assemble it and take the measurements and double check.. If you need a copy of the frame layout ive got one here i can scan. Also what i did on my 34 to fill unwanted bolt holes was put 2 inch masking tape on the bottom of them and cut little pieces of mat and stuffed it with resin in the holes and it worked fine. When i pulled the tape it was smooth on the bottom and looked great.
Dave

Kctom

Quote from: "Kctom1"Well here we go! Have the Downs 34 cpe body sitting on a Pete & Jakes new frame. None of the body mount holes line up. Put the running boards on to line up the rear well and fender to them. Now someone has stolen all the mounting holes in the frame. The body does not have a hole drilled for the front cowl hole. according to most people I have talked to ,say this is the one that lines the body up. The A&B pillar have a plate welded to them with holes drilled in them, but they do not line up with frame holes. Any ideas how to fit body on frame?
TOM

I bolted the metal running boards in place, then moved the body foreward to line up the rear fenders with them. Cut off the 3/16 metal mounting plate and alained it with a hole then welded the plate back in place. This was done on both A&B pillar post. The rest of the holes drillid in the bottom of the floor. So will make a mark on the underside of floor to mark where frame is and a center mark of bolt hole, which I marked on frame side to match hole on top rail. Take body off and drill floor. Should work. Going to have to get on the ball on this car. Called interior guy and got a Jan. or Feb date to get it done