No More Carburated GM Big Blocks??

Started by 40, April 30, 2006, 05:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My brother-in-law stopped at our Chevrolet dealer yesterday to order a replacement 454 for his motorhome.He was told there is nothing available other than fuel injected big blocks??Does our parts guys know what they are talking about?? I see Jegs/Summit still have them in their latest catalog.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Dave

Quote from: "40"My brother-in-law stopped at our Chevrolet dealer yesterday to order a replacement 454 for his motorhome.He was told there is nothing available other than fuel injected big blocks??Does our parts guys know what they are talking about?? I see Jegs/Summit still have them in their latest catalog.

Check online do a search for jim pace pontiac in ohio they got good prices and and a good online catalog. Ive gought 2 350 crates from them.
If they dont have them then i guess we will have to ask the pros. I can check at the local stealership if  you need more info.
Dave

Leon

I was just at the Chevy dealer in Bakersfield (120 miles away) to check on a new engine for my 54 and they quoted better than $300 more than Summit.  My local dealer is always a little higher yet.  Considering Summit wants $149 to ship to my door, I think I'll go with Summit!

Thanks for the replies....We can get that same 454 that Pace has for $5500 from JEGS for $4900 and $120 freight.I guess I was wondering if GM is dicontinuing production or just not going to distribute them thru their dealers. I assumed all the motors sold by the various outlets were built by GM....Perhaps not??

phat rat

If you want a good deal on GM motors give Scoggin-* a try. When I bought the BBC for the cpe they were by far the best price in the country and also give great deals on shipping. When I checked the dealers around my area they were all more than $700 over Scoggin-* price with shipping included.  Decided to look myself, GM Goodwrench 454 $5052.74, GM Performance 425hp 454 $4899.80 They just keep going up in price when I bought my 425hp in the fall of 01 it was about $4200 Well I see I took to long to answer.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

SKR8PN

If it is still a good core........why not rebuild the one that came out of the motorhome?
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

He is thinking about selling the unit.....his thinking is that a new motor w/warranty may be a good selling point.We do have a very reputable local motor shop and if he decides to keep it,a rebuild will be the way he goes.Just curious,what does a standard stock rebuild and a re-working of the heads cost in other areas?

enjenjo

I have had three engines done in the last few months, non SBC. Machine work, and materials, bored with new pistons, no assembly, have been running right about $1800.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

Quote from: "40"He is thinking about selling the unit.....his thinking is that a new motor w/warranty may be a good selling point.We do have a very reputable local motor shop and if he decides to keep it,a rebuild will be the way he goes.Just curious,what does a standard stock rebuild and a re-working of the heads cost in other areas?

It may be a good selling point but. Will it add enough to the final price to justify doing it?
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

SKR8PN

Quote from: "enjenjo"I have had three engines done in the last few months, non SBC. Machine work, and materials, bored with new pistons, no assembly, have been running right about $1800.

About the same here as well. Depends on the core.
Add about a grand if it say MOPAR on it though :roll:
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.