SBC mechanical fuel pump

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, April 30, 2006, 09:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

Been thrashing away on my '40 for a month, getting the trans fixed, and a lot of other little things cleaned up. Fired her this afternoon, cured a trans cooler line leak and then started in on a fuel filter leak.

Bottom line, had to take the  fuel pump off to disassemble the inverted flare lines. I've never liked that particular AC pump, hard to plumb and hard to work with.

So the question is, what mechanicle pump do you guys like for a short water pump application? I like to hard line my fuel system but at this point I'd consider a pump thet has hose fittings in and out - 5/16" or 3/8". The problem is keeping the pump to carb line away from the lower radiator hose.

Thanks,

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

EMSjunkie

I'm running a stock SBC fuel pump from the local AutoZoo.

I had to look at about 3 or 4 till I found one that had the fittings "clocked" at the right angles.

I'm running a short style pump too.
if memory serves me correctly, I believe the pump I wound up with is listed for an 80-84 GMC pickup. I think.  :?

hope that helps.

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

purplepickup

I'm just running the Holley street pump (6-8 psi).  The Edelbrock carb doesn't like any more psi than that.  It's been dependable so far.  I did rotate the base so that the fitting positions were more to my liking....but I think you can do that with most of them.  

Come to think of it, I don't think I've had a fuel pump fail since before I was in the Army.
George

1FATGMC

Quote from: "purplepickup"I'm just running the Holley street pump (6-8 psi).  The Edelbrock carb doesn't like any more psi than that.  It's been dependable so far.  I did rotate the base so that the fitting positions were more to my liking....but I think you can do that with most of them.  

Come to think of it, I don't think I've had a fuel pump fail since before I was in the Army.

I think I'm using the same one George is talking about.  I changed the original this past year, since it had over 120,000 miles on it and didn't want to mess with it on a trip if it went out.  I put a new one one just like the old one and threw the old one in the spare parts that I carry just in case.  Now I have a chrome backup instead of the stock GM one I had before :roll: .

I'm using the long water pump and just put the fuel pump on as it came out of the box, but you can clock it.

c ya, Sum

Charlie Chops 1940

Thanks guys, my local speed shop probably has one of the Holleys in stock. I'll take a look this morning. Kinda like George...haven't had a pump failure in years.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

Charlie Chops 1940

Went and got an indexable fuel pump today. Now I remember why I had an AC pump on there. The bigger body pump won't fit...too close to the frame rail.

It's bad when you've owned the same car for so long that you forget why you used a certain part....

I redid all the fittings  and lones and she's good to go for a few more years.

Charlie

A Hooligan!