Sanden 508 A/C Compressor questions

Started by Corn Fed, April 30, 2006, 11:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corn Fed

I'm putting A/C into my 57 Ford with a Y-block and the brackets I got from Vintage Air mount the compressor down low.  There is not enough clearance to get the hoses on without cutting a big notch in my framerail, which I don't want to do.

I know that I need to keep the oil fill above horizontal, so that rules out turning the compressor upside down.  So does anyone know if the back cover of a Sanden 508 can be rotated 90 or 180 degrees allowing me to point the hoses down but keep the oil fill up?  If so, is this something that  I can do myself?  Will it need a new seal (gasket or o-ring)?

Thanks for the help.

enjenjo

The cover can't be rotated on the body. there is also no reason the compressor can't be mounted upside down, the oil can be sucked in through the system when charging. There are also models that have the hoses coming straigh out of the back.

I have also used Factory ford compressor brackets for a york compressor, with an adapter to mount a Sanden compressor on it, in the factory location.

http://www.macsradiator.com/browseproducts/York-to-Sanden-compressor-adaptor-bracket.html
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Corn Fed

Thanks for the info.  I didn't know that you could turn it upside down.  All the places I'd looked always showed keeping up upright.  I've seen the rear exit unit, but was wanting to make due with what I already have.

zzebby

Is there a Sanden 510   that pumps a little more volume for max air ???  Fuzzy memory.

I have never turned one upside down but have rotated a couple  a 1/4 turn with no problems.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

enjenjo

Quote from: "zzebby"Is there a Sanden 510   that pumps a little more volume for max air ???  Fuzzy memory.

Yup, there is a whole series in different sizes. I think 505 is the smallest.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.