Power streeing pump for Mustang II

Started by richard 36dodge, April 22, 2006, 08:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richard 36dodge

I want to use an old style rebuilt small block Chevy '68 type power steering pump with reservoir. I have the '68 brackets and the crank pulley for the short water pump. Will this pump work well with a '79 up Mustang rack ? Do I have to cut the pressure spring to lower the pressure of the pump to work properly ?
I have all the info about the hoses.
Thanks for all your help !
Rick Harris

enjenjo

Yes it will work. No you don't have to mosify the pressure.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

docchevy

Quote from: "richard 36dodge"I want to use an old style rebuilt small block Chevy '68 type power steering pump with reservoir. I have the '68 brackets and the crank pulley for the short water pump. Will this pump work well with a '79 up Mustang rack ? Do I have to cut the pressure spring to lower the pressure of the pump to work properly ?
Rick Harris
Nope!  Don' touch a thing.  I put an older Chevelle pump on my '34 which has an '89 Mustang rack.  It works fine.  The only hitch is the fittings.  I had to buy both Ford and Chevy hoses and swap the ends.  There is a company on the net called "Gotta Show" or something like that that sells the hoses already made up.  Good Luck!
Remember; Physics explains everything!

richard 36dodge

Quote from: "docchevy"
Quote from: "richard 36dodge"I want to use an old style rebuilt small block Chevy '68 type power steering pump with reservoir. I have the '68 brackets and the crank pulley for the short water pump. Will this pump work well with a '79 up Mustang rack ? Do I have to cut the pressure spring to lower the pressure of the pump to work properly ?  
Rick Harris
Nope!  Don' touch a thing.  I put an older Chevelle pump on my '34 which has an '89 Mustang rack.  It works fine.  The only hitch is the fittings.  I had to buy both Ford and Chevy hoses and swap the ends.  There is a company on the net called "Gotta Show" or something like that that sells the hoses already made up.  Good Luck!

One question on the hoses, Do they come out at a 90 degree angle ?  
There is not a lot of room between the bottom of the pump and the part of the rack that has the fittings holes.
I will use the Chevy pump.  
THANKS FOR THE INFO !!! :D  
Rick Harris

docchevy

Quote from: "richard 36dodge"
Quote from: "docchevy"
Rick Harris

One question on the hoses, Do they come out at a 90 degree angle ?  
There is not a lot of room between the bottom of the pump and the part of the rack that has the fittings holes.
I will use the Chevy pump.  
THANKS FOR THE INFO !!! :D  
Rick Harris

The high pressure side of the pump attaches to a hose with a 90 on it.  The low side is a ~3/8" pipe with a 90 on it.  I put a hose over that one and used a tubing clamp over it.  Both of the fittings were on 90's on the rack side.  My rack is about 8 inches away too.  Does that answer your questions?
Docchevy

richard 36dodge

I have a '75 or '76 power rack that is good. Can I use it with a GM pump ?
I have been told that I can lower the pressure of the pump by cutting about 1/3 off the pressure spring. It has about 3 1/3 turns form lock to lock with flair fittings. If not I will get a rack from a '79 up MUstang.
Thanks for all the info.
Rick Harris

docchevy

Quote from: "richard 36dodge"I have a '75 or '76 power rack that is good. Can I use it with a GM pump ?
I have been told that I can lower the pressure of the pump by cutting about 1/3 off the pressure spring. It has about 3 1/3 turns form lock to lock with flair fittings. If not I will get a rack from a '79 up MUstang.
Thanks for all the info.
Rick Harris

I was told to lower the pressure too.  But others said it wasn't necessary.  I used it as is and it works fine.  Good luck!
Docchevy

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "richard 36dodge"I have a '75 or '76 power rack that is good. Can I use it with a GM pump ?
Thanks for all the info.
Rick Harris

I drove my truck with the gm ps and there was too little feel to the steering on the 84 t-bird rack. I bought a Borgesson  kit to reduce the pressure for about $16.00 and set the pressure lower and the steering feel was better. Ed ke6bnl. I got the fittings made up at napa I have a very short distance to hook up the lines and they fitted them with all the fittings to make it work. Ed ke6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,