Lost the oil pressure

Started by 48ford, April 23, 2006, 07:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ford

Help!
I lost the oil pressure in Irenes Monte.
it's not the gauge,first thing I checked(I put on a mechanical gauge)
It's a rebuilt 350 small block.
It runs good.Less than 300 miles
It looks like nothing at idle(maybe 2-3,but looks like 0,give it gas and 25 psi at best.)
No clatter in the top(yet)no rod knock,but at idle a soft knock but not hard like a rod ,and it goes away when the pressure comes up a little.
The oil is still clean,and at the full mark.
Has any one ever had a new pump go out?
any other ideas?
Thanks Russ

enjenjo

There is a pressure tap near the oil filter, check the pressure there. If there is no pressure there, the pickup may be too low in the pan. If there is pressure there, the plug under the rear main cap may be missing, or has come loose.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

EMSjunkie

check the fitting that you pull pressure from, I got carried away with the thread tape, blocked the hole. :oops:  once I re-taped, I had plenty of pressure.  8)

it didn't happen right away. I had pressure, then it slowly went away.  :?

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

if the oil pump pickup is sucking against the pan bottom as enjenjo mentions that can cause a problem.

I had a pick up fall off my 71 chev truck oil pump.  Oil press was still fine , cept for hard stops or turns
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

If all else fails, check the galley plugs behind the cam gear. 1 plug coming out will do what you are describing.
TEAM SMART

48ford

Thanks for all the ideas, I will let everyone know what I find out.
But for the next week we will be getting the boat ready to put in for the year,so I can't see me having any time to look at the car now.
This is why it sat for 12 years the first time.
Later Russ :(