63 Impala, 605 conversion

Started by mrloboy, April 20, 2006, 10:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrloboy

Today I installed a 605 Saginaw power steering box on a 63 Impala. All went fairly well with the main glitch involving the connection between the stock steering column and the donor 605 box. I used the lower portion of the shaft including the "rag-joint" from the 78 Malibu donor. For the upper section, I took the original 63 shaft and machined it to fit the 3/4" DD configuration including the relief for the tension spring. everything went together great! After installing, I test drove the car. Immediately I realized that the steering box was junk! There is a huge amount of free play within the box. My question is; Is this adjustable, repairable or should I simply replace the box? I have a number of donor intermediate GM cars in my compound, but none of them have the 605 box. Will the other Saginaw boxes interchange or is the pitman shaft of a different configuration? I have heard that the 605 box was not the best of quality and subject to seal failure, especially in cold climate conditions. That usually is not an issue within the street rod community. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks, Rick

GPster

I can't tell you if it's a direct replacement or not as far as pittman arm but the 805 box will bolt in. Around here they use the GM metric frames ("78-"86) for dirt track cars. It seems like some of the economy metric cars had the 605 but everyone changes them over to the 805 because any shock to the pittman arm cause the cover to pop off and the bearing to be exposed or pop out. Of course they may be changing them with the attached pittman arm. Check through your stock. Maybe some of the "classier" metric cars might have what you need but then again they might have made different decisions when constructing cars for Canada. GPster

Ralph

Hi Rick
I had the alignment shop tell me the steering box in my wife's 68 Camaro was bad. I checked it and the rag joint was the problem. Easy $10 fix. You've probably ruled that out, but i thought I'd mention it anyway....... There was a recent post on adjusting steering boxes. Back off the locking nut on the adjuster on top of the box and snug her down a LITTLE. Too much and the steering doesn't self center any more. Are you coming in for the MSRA Rodarama?
Ralph
Manitoba Street Rod Association
http://www.msra.mb.ca/

GPster

Quote from: "Ralph"Back off the locking nut on the adjuster on top of the box and snug her down a LITTLE. Too much and the steering doesn't self center any more. Ralph
The 605 box doesn't have this adjustment, that's one of the light weight features of it. GPster

Ralph

Rats!! Just when I thought I could be helpful!
Ralph  :oops:
Manitoba Street Rod Association
http://www.msra.mb.ca/

mrloboy

Thanks guys. I will grab an 800 series box from one of my donor cars and check the splines on the pitman arm. I did locate another 605 unit, but it is a later model with metric/o-ring line fittings and I already have set the car up with the standard inverted flair style hoses and hoped to avoid altering that setup.

Ralph, as for Rodorama next weekend, I am not sure. I would like to slip into town for a snoop one of the days. It is always a good time.  Rick

tomslik

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "Ralph"Back off the locking nut on the adjuster on top of the box and snug her down a LITTLE. Too much and the steering doesn't self center any more. Ralph
The 605 box doesn't have this adjustment, that's one of the light weight features of it. GPster

WHAT!?!?!?
all MINE did.......
still a POS box, though...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

GPster

I stand corrected and I should be corrected about trying to correct someone. The 605 box in the Jeepster indeed does have that adjustment. It is part of the soft plug type of arrangement on the top of the box that is held in the steering box with a snap ring. It has been my simple way of distinquishing between it and the better boxes by either the snap ring fastener or the plate held on with four bolts. GPster