Gasket Sealer

Started by tonto1, April 13, 2006, 08:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1

I had a conversation with a neighbor of mine this evening and part of it was about gasket sealers.
He strongly touted ane called AMABOND and I had never heard of it before. His implication was that any one  who used it wouldn't use anything else.
Does anyone here know anything about it? :?:  :?:  :?:
Why are there more horses a**es in the world than there are horses?

enjenjo

Never heard of it, it may be very good. I generally use Permatex products. Formagasket no. 1 and 2, Ultra silicone, black or grey or blue, Hi temp silicone, red. I also use Rector-seal pipe dope, or Pematex pipe dope with PTFE. I also use 3M yellow weatherstrip adhesive as a gasket cement on some application, oil pans and front covers.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tonto1

Yeah, I normally use the non hardening Permatex.
Why are there more horses a**es in the world than there are horses?

Normspeed

Never heard of Amabond.  Seems like the non hardening Permatex doesn't stay as soft as it used to. I used it on a fuel pump and a therm housing and six months later when I disassembled, it was hard as a rock.  Maybe it's a new environmental formula?  I'm really impressed with the Permatex blue ultra silicone.

Quote from: "tonto1"Yeah, I normally use the non hardening Permatex.

Land Yacht

That might be Yamabond. Yamaha brand name sealer(I guess?) Iv'e heard people say its great stuff for sealing crankcases on small engines where gas and oil are present. Another good one for this application is Hylomar. RTV has problems around gas in my experience.
1965 Impala SS 283/250 -sold- :(
1977 Chevy Caprice -totaled 2005 :(

1999 Chevy S-10 ZR2  Bacon Getter

sirstude

If that is the same stuff we used in the late 60's and early 70's, it was great.  Yamaha Bond #5.  I hadn't thought of it for years.  The primary use was the seal the cases together.  They never used a gasket.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

Ok, Yamabond I have used. It's good stuff.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.